Saturday, September 01, 2018

Fall Is Here!

Today is the first day of September, therefore the first day of Fall. 

No, no, you may argue.  Fall doesn't start until the Autumnal Equinox on the 22nd.   True, if you follow the astronomical calendar.  Me, I like to follow the meteorological calendar, which means today is the first day of Fall.  Early this morning, it was cool enough that I was able to open my French doors and let the dogs come and go as they pleased.  It didn't last long, as the day got warm  mighty quickly.  Eventually, it got up into the 90s, but the air has that Fall feel to it.  So much so, I got out a wreath and hung it on my front door.


For those of you who haven't already figured it out, Fall is my favorite time of year.  The colors.  The smells.  Football.  The all too brief respite from the relentless summer heat.  I love everything about it.  I got so excited about its arrival, I couldn't help myself.  I ran into Cody's room and dug out all my fall scented wax melts.  And since I can never do anything halfway, bought some new ones. 


I bought this candle, too, but it was kind of a disappointment. 


It doesn't really smell like anything at all.  I mean, it smells good when you stick your nose right down into the jar, but not so much when it's burning.  I won't buy an other one. 

The other thing I did this morning was to open up my little sample of paint and paint a bit of my eaves. Technically, these aren't the eaves.  They are called something else, but I don't know what.   Yes, I know I could google it, but I'm not going to get pedantic about it.


I was going to paint a larger section right there, but alas, I'm too short.  That was as high as I could comfortably reach. But it's enough to see that the color I chose really does work.

Then I said to myself, "Self, since you've got the ladder out already, might as well get some more of that ivy off the bricks."


And one more thing before putting the ladder away.  I finally got my new flag pole up.  The one I bought a month ago. 


The old one had gotten bent in a storm.  It still worked, but didn't really look too good.  This new one is bigger around, and feels heavier.  It should stand up to our Southern spring storms.  That's why it took so long to hang it -- I had to replace the bracket, too. 

I spent the rest of the day watching football -- with a bit of a break to do the mowing.  Speaking of watching, the first game of the season was Thursday night.  I was watching, and it was getting late.  I wanted to go lay down in my bed and finish watching it there.  Alas, it would seem my Fire Stick has completely given up the ghost.  I tried and tried, and couldn't get it to do anything.    It wouldn't load any apps.  My phone app couldn't connect (the remote having blown up years ago).  Nothing worked. 

I did the next best thing.  I watched the game on my Fire Tablet, until I fell asleep. 

Yesterday, whilst doing my in town errands, I went and bought myself another Roku. 


I hooked it up last night, linked it to my account, and started adding my channels.  I got my five favorites downloaded, then turned the TV off and went to sleep, thinking I'd add the rest today. 

When I turned it on this morning to finish, lo and behold, sometime during the night, my new Roku had synced to my account and everything was already there. 

Ain't technology grand? 




























No comments: