Thursday, September 27, 2018

Success!

If you were to drive by my house, and look at my front lawn, you'd think it was a nice, lush, grassy plot.  Alas, it is not.  It is mostly weeds.  Every spring and fall since I've moved in, I've attempted to combat the weed growth, usually with Scott's Turf Builder: Weed & Feed.  For some reason, our local Wal-mart has not carried it this year.  I've been watching, hoping they'd get some in, but no.

I thought about ordering some online, but decided to check Lowe's first.  Off to Batesville I went.

Now, let me step out of my story a moment to tell you, according to the forecast, the highs today were supposed to get up into the upper 70s.  I dressed accordingly.  It never made it out of the 60s.  I was able to keep the French doors open all day -- well, after I got home, that is --to let the dogs come and go as they pleased, and to exchange the air, as my friend Marcy would say, but ended up having to put on flannel lounge pants because it got so chilly in the house.

OK, back to my story.  Off to Batesville I went, sure that Lowe's would have the desired fertilizer/weed killer combination.   When I got there, I said to myself, "Self, why don't you just whiz into this Wal-mart up here and see what they have?"  And that's exactly what I did.

I whizzed into the Wal-mart and made a beeline to the garden center, where wonder of wonders, they had a bag of the desired Weed & Feed  -- and it was on clearance! 


They actually had two, but one had gotten wet, so I put it back.  I bought a bag once that had gotten wet, and it just clogged up my spreader.  It never did try out, and I ended up having to hand cast it.  That did not work out too well. 

The other bag is just plain old weed killer, but it was on clearance, too, so I bought it.  And I bought a plastic box to store them in, since my shop is not weather tight. 

Whilst whizzing through the store, I spotted this cute little soap dispenser, and just couldn't resist. 


They also had cats, skulls, and one single ghost.  But I liked the pumpkin the best.

After a quick trip to Lowe's, which I will tell you about later, I came on home and finished the strap I'm weaving on my Inkle loom. 



I wanted to get it finished so I could stain my loom, which I also did. 


I'd thought about using some leftover stain that I had around the house, but chose to go with a lighter color instead.  This is golden pecan, and I think we have a winner.  I was going to say the bad news is, I can't warp it again until tomorrow, but the really bad news is, I'm having trouble finding size 5/2 cotton thread.  I've found it in cones, but not balls. 

The good news is, I think I've found a use for all my leftover cross stitch floss. 

And finally, I leave you with this loverly shot of my spider lilies blooming.


And yes, replacing that fence is on the list.  Along with a whole bunch of other stuff I can't yet afford. 

But will get to eventually.



No comments: