Friday, August 31, 2018

Hallelujah, Take Two

We have the weekend off!  The whole weekend -- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday -- what with Monday being a holiday and all.  Oh, you should have heard the cheering and whooping when they posted that.  It's been a long, hard summer, and we've worked a lot of hours.  We're all ready for a break.  Of course, the downside to that is they've cut all the extra overtime.  I'm back to 10 hour shifts instead of 12. 

The upside to that is I get to sleep in until 4:30 every morning.  So, yay!  But my paychecks will be much, much smaller, so boo to that.

One of my coworkers and I were talking about how people from the assembly lines come over to the sub assembly area and just grab any old bin full of headers that look like they fit instead of checking the pick list for the order number.  That's how they end up losing orders, or not having enough headers to finish -- or whatever.  Back when I was still on the line, we had a guy -- a temp-- who would pick up a header assembly, hold it up in front of the unit, and if it looked like it fit, on it went -- whether it was the right one or not.  I mentioned him in our conversation, and my coworker said, "If you can't be bothered to look at the paper, you don't need to be working here."

My response was, "Yeah, but the flip side of that is, if you're only going to pay temps $8 an hour, you kind of have to take what you can get."  I've said it before, and I'll keep on saying it, you aren't going to attract good workers if the best you can offer them is a beans and rice existence. 

But enough about that...

Since I have a four day weekend, just what do I plan on doing on my days off?  Well, I'll tell you.  I have a list -- which I really need to write down, lest I forget something.  The first thing on that list, I got up and did this morning, and that was to clean up that mess that is Tomato Man's abandoned patch. 


I'd started trying to mow it last week, but kept having to stop and clear the grass out of my mower discharge every two to three feet.  Yes, I said feet.  This morning, I fired up the old weedeater and knocked the worst of it down.


It was then that I discovered, not only had Tomato Man abandoned his tomato plants, he'd also planted cantaloupes, which he also abandoned.


If I'd known he had those out there, I might have taken care of them.  But then, probably not.  Like I said, if I'd wanted a garden, I'd have planted one of my own.

After I knocked the worst of it down with the weedeater, I got out the old lawn mower and cut the rest.  I had to raise my mower deck to the highest setting to start with, then I lowered it and made a second pass.  It looks so much better now.


If he doesn't come back and get those tomato cages by say, February or March, I'm going to offer them up in the local freebies group. Or maybe to my coworker who recycles scrap metal.  Either way, he is not planting anything there next year. 

By the time I was done, I was thoroughly drenched in sweat, and my hair was totally curly.  I came in and took a shower, then headed into town to do my in-town business.  My first stop was the paint store my contractor uses  --Ohlis Paint on Sunset, for those of you familiar with the area.  Very nice people.  Very courteous service.   

I was browsing the paint cards, and as soon as I saw this one, I snatched up and said, "Ooooh, I love that!"  I didn't even look at any more cards.  I just knew this was the color I wanted.  However, I did ask for a sample, just to make sure it looks OK with my bricks.  I'd hate to have Mr. Allbritton do the whole house, then discover that the colors didn't work together.

As soon as I got home, I ran out and held the card up to my bricks, and I do think they work well together.


Kindly ignore that hideous foam sealer around my windows.  I'd meant to trim that off, but just haven't gotten around to it.  It's on the list. 

Also kindly ignore my cruddy bricks.  Getting them washed is also on the list. 

Cody ran by after he'd gotten off work to start hauling his stuff up to his new apartment.  He likes that color, too. Probably in the morning, I'll drag the old ladder out and paint a bit of the eaves, so I can see it on a larger scale, but barring any unexpected hideousness, this is the color I'm going to go with. 

Oh, and I must remember to measure my windows for shutters...








No comments: