Thursday, September 06, 2018

Post - Gordon

I woke up bright and early this morning to a driving rain, brought up on by Tropical Storm Gordon.  I listened attentively to the radio, hoping against all hope that work had been cancelled.  I should have known better.  If they made us work all the way through Hurricane Katrina, they weren't going to shut down the plant for a piddling little old tropical storm.  So off to work I went. 

Where I spent a relatively uneventful day railing against a job that kept me from watching the weather.  Don't those people know there was a storm out there!  I needed to be watching the wind blow, and tracking it on radar, and measuring rainfall! 

I am my father's daughter.  It made me long for a paper tracking chart I could hang on my bedroom wall, the way I did when I was a kid.  Yes, I had my own hurricane tracking charts!  I knew how to use them, too.  But that's another post for another day...

Back to Gordon.

By the time it was all said and done, we'd gotten 6.5 inches of rain, but not much else.  Some people in town lost power briefly, but it was quickly restored.  So far, I've only heard of one death from the storm. 

Now we wait with baited breath to see what Florence is up to.  And the two systems developing behind her. 

In the meantime, look who made their first appearance! 


It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but those are spider lilies poking their little heads up.  I've always called them harbingers of fall, and that they are.

That's about all I have for you tonight.  I just wanted to check in and let you know I'd weathered the storm. 

No comments: