Sunday, September 02, 2018

A Day Of Rest

After yesterday's post went live, one of my faithful readers asked if I'd considered putting shutters on my house.  Of course, the answer is yes.  It's been on the list since I moved in.  I thought they'd look really cute on my house, and would increase the curb appeal.  I'd hesitated, though, because of this space between the front window and the door.


It's not a very big space, and I was afraid it would be too narrow for a shutter.  I put off getting them, thinking it would look dumb to have shutters on my other two windows, and not that big front one.


What with my friend's prompting, I finally said to myself, "Self, you need to get your tape measure out and settle this once and for all." And that's exactly what I did.  After I took the measurements, I got online and began searching for shutters that would fit that space.

Correction, shutters that would fit and that I could afford.  I was kind of surprised at how expensive they could be.  I saw some that cost nearly $500 a pair.  Yeah, that's not going to happen.  I kept on looking, and lo and behold, I found these that were the exact size I needed.  They are made of vinyl, and only $42 a pair.


The color even looked right.  I ran and grabbed my color card and held it up to the screen.  It was close, but not quite.  I wondered how obvious it would be if I hung them anyway.  While I was mulling it over, I glanced over at the left sidebar -- you know, where they have all the filters -- and saw the magic word "paintable".

I quickly applied the filter and look what popped up.


Yep, the exact same shutter, for the exact same price, only in a paintable vinyl.  I quickly ordered them.  They should get here in about 10 days, which will give me plenty of time to find someone to power wash my brick -- provided I don't procrastinate on that...

I got excited for a moment, because I'd already bought some primer for my bricks.  My inside bricks, not the house bricks.


However, when I checked the label, it didn't say for plastic or vinyl.  Next time I go to the store, I'll have to look for primer made for vinyls.  I'm also going to take my paint card and see if I can find a matching spray paint.  I think it'll be easier to spray paint it than to try to brush all those louvers.

Once that was done, I settled in for an afternoon of knitting and TV watching.  I worked on a charity hat for a bit, 


but it just wasn't doing it for me.  For the last two days, I've been hearing the blanket calling my name, so I got it out and cast on a new square.


As Cody once said when he was still little, "It's getting to be knitting season."  Heh, around here, it's always knitting season, but during the summer, it's little stuff like hats and scarves.  Once it gets to be towards fall and winter, the bigger projects start coming out of hibernation. 

One last thing before I stop boring you.  I bought some new daffodil bulbs. 


I'm thinking about planting them on the North side of my house-- interspersed among my spider lilies.  Now, I just need to wait for the aforementioned spider lilies to show themselves.  Then it'll be fall for sure.




No comments: