Sunday, August 12, 2018

He Didn't Get It

Cody came home last night and said he didn't get that job he'd wanted.  They felt he was not qualified enough to work in customer service.  He said, "Even though I spent a year helping people who were actually dying."  He was disappointed, but said the Wal-Mart up in Collierville had called him about working there.  It's not his first choice, or even his second, but hey, it's an income.

I asked him what had happened with the Fed Ex job.  He said they wouldn't hire people who didn't already live in Memphis.  That puts him in a bit of a catch 22.  The apartment complex won't lease to him until he's shown them three check stubs proving that he makes at least $1500 per month.  So, he can't get an apartment until he gets a job, and he can't get a job until he gets an apartment.  Well, not the job he wanted, that is.  I suggested he work at Wal-mart a few months, then move up there and re-apply to Fed Ex.  He said he might do that.  I haven't asked him if he's put his resume up on Glassdoor or Indeed.  Honestly, I just now thought about it. 

On the bright side, if he's still living with me at the end of next month, he can watch the dogs while I go to Fiber Fun In The 'Sip, and I won't have to pay for boarding.

Moving right along...

Since I got that pile of wood cleaned up, my next project is to clean up my fence line. 


The previous owners seemed to think that area right behind the fence was their own personal junk yard, so there is a lot of junk out there.  And most of it is just junk,


 but there are some wheels out there that look to be in pretty good shape.  They're either lawn mower wheels or 4 wheeler wheels, I can't tell.


I advertised it on the local Free-Bees group, but as usual, the people who said they wanted it never showed up.   There is a guy at work who picks up scrap metal and takes it back for recycling.  I'm going to ask him if he wants it.  The only down side is that he'll want me to clean it up and bring it to him.  That's not going to happen.  If he wants it, he can come get it.  If not, it's all going into the garbage can.

That's what I was going to do this weekend.  However, I got up Friday and decided it was still too hot to do another big outside job.  What I did instead was to get back to bricking.


I've still got a long way to go, but I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I got most of this short side almost finished before I ran out of stripper.


The hardest part is going to be getting this back corner behind the stove. 


I'm hoping I can get it stripped, primed, and painted before Christmas, so I can put my mantle back up, and put my nativity on the mantle.  The first year I was in this house, I had that mantle decorated so nicely.  I want to get it back to looking good, instead of being just another half finished project. 

In the midst of all that, I got another hat done for my friend's blessing bags. 


I like the way that turned out.  I might just make one for myself. 

Last but not least. I gave Squeaky a bath, which she did not appreciate. 


I did it anyway. 

When we make that last trip to the vet-- which will be soon-- I don't want them to think I didn't take care of her. 



No comments: