Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Nonsense Post

My day started early.

I mean, my day always starts early, but today started earlier than normal.  I awoke at 1:00 AM to answer nature, and wouldn't you know it, I couldn't go back to sleep.  I dozed a little, but real sleep eluded me.  I briefly considered calling in sick and just sleeping, but no  -- I need the money too badly.  I dragged my weary body out of bed and took myself to work

Where I found my B shift counterpart had left me a round of my favorite early morning game:  Guess The Unlabeled Order.

Yep, there were parts set up on my stand, but I had no idea what they were or what order they went to.  He'd left me no pick list, no note on the schedule, no component tickets...nothing.  I didn't even know which line the order was for.

I took a large swig of coffee, did a quick bit of sleuthing -- which included at least one dumpster dive -- and figured out what the order was.  Long years of playing this game with B shift has quite sharpened my deductive reasoning skills.  Alas, that was the high point of my day.

Oh, I didn't have a bad day.  I just didn't have an interesting day.  Nothing exciting nor untoward happened, and I plodded through the day sleepy as heck, but I made it.

As an aside, does anyone know how to hide the hit counter on Blogger?  Seems here lately, I've gotten too caught up in how many hits my post get, and as a result, I've kind of lost my focus on what I want my blog to be.  Back in what I consider my glory days of blogging, I imagined myself sitting down with a friend the evenings and chatting about how my day went.  My thoughts, my feelings, my frustrations -- what have you.

Once Blogger put up the page views on the dashboard, I became overly concerned with the number of hits I was getting.  I began to write what I thought would get me the most hits, instead of carrying on a conversation with a friend.  I tell myself I'm not going to care, but when I see those numbers, I do care.  I ask myself, "Why didn't this post get as many hits as that post?  What was wrong with it?"

That's where my mind goes.  If a post doesn't get as many hits, I assume something is wrong with it.  I think if I can avoid seeing those hit counters, I might get back to writing from the heart, and I think my blog will be better for it.   If I can get over being addicted to those numbers...

And here I sit, fighting the urge to rush back to the dashboard to see how many hits this post has gotten -- even before I've published it.

Fnally, anyone need some kacki pants?  Somebody here in town is selling a pair.  Or maybe they're selling Jackie pants.  I'm not sure.  Are you?







No comments: