Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Wicked

I'd had a blog post for you yesterday, but we had some mighty wicked storms blow through last night. It got pretty hairy there for a while.  I mean, really hairy.  Some of that thunder even made me jump.

I got to work this morning, and a coworker told me there had been a tornado in the town just 30 miles up the road.  I haven't found any confirmation of a touchdown, but I did find where the warning had been issued.

Cody had spent the night in Collierville, because he had a late shift at Home Depot, then had his orientation at Wal-Mart this morning.  Instead of driving two hours home, then two hours straight back up there, he decided to stay with his friend -- the one he wants to get the apartment with.  Good thing, too.  If he'd come on home, he'd have been hitting Batesville just about the time that tornado warning was issued.

Warning.  Not watch.

Warning.  

I was still planning a blog post, despite the storms, but about the time I sat down to write it, my electricity went out.  I read my book for a minute, then not wanting to run my phone battery down, went into the dining room area and sat in front of my French doors watching the deer in the back yard.  There were 4 of them out there -- two does, plus the twins.  I still haven't seen a buck, but there's got to be one around here somewhere.  I mean, fawns don't spring from cabbage leaves, right?

I watched them -- and at this point, I'm thinking I need to name them -- until the Entergy truck showed up and spooked them.  So, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I went and sat in front of the other window and watched the lineman fix the power.

Somewhere along the way, I remembered what people used to do before Facebook.  They lived

The irony of that statement is that I was doing live updates on Facebook from my phone the whole time. But that's neither here nor there...the point still stands. 

By the time the electricity came back on, it was time for bed. And about the time I lay down in the bed, the storms started back up.  At least this time, the power stayed on.  Buuuut, when I got up this morning, the radio station was off the air.  I had to get ready for work in silence, which is weird, because I time my preparations by the radio show I listen to in the morning.  Without the Idiot History segment, and the Show Biz Quiz, I have no idea if I'm on schedule, or running behind, or what.

Nevertheless, I made it to work on time, and after a long, hot day, came home to no water.  Sigh...Seems I can't win for losing.

My first thought was "Ack!  Leak!"  I ran out and checked my meter.  Nope, it wasn't moving.  It was something with the water company.  I checked to see if they'd made any announcements or anything, but they hadn't -- at least, not that I could find. I came back inside, suddenly feeling like I was absolutely dying of thirst.  Why, I don't know.  I had plenty of stuff to drink, but somehow knowing the water is off made me feel like I was lost in a desert.  "Water!  Water!" I cry as I crawl across the hot dry sand.

Pulled from my reverie by Jesse barking like a crazy dog, I looked out the window and saw my across the street neighbor checking his meter.  I stepped outside to ask if his water was off, too and let him know it wasn't just him.  He was as relieved as I was.  "I thought I had a leak," he said. 

We hung around chatting for a moment about the storm.

It got rough last night.

    Them trees was just a twisting.

 I heard there was a tornado up in Batesville.

     I wonder if the storm damaged something at the water office.

We visited another minute or two, then I came back inside, and was able to take a shower, albeit a low pressure one.  At least I got the day's grime and sweat off my body.  So, that's where we stand right now.  Maybe by tomorrow, they'll have the water fixed. 

The only question which remains is, what was I going to blog about last night before the storms hit?  Well, mostly I was going to show you this beautiful card my dear, dear friend Sue sent me.


Inside was a very sweet message of sympathy for my loss of my kitty.  I can neither confirm nor deny, that I may or may not have....aw, heck, I choked up.  Tears were shed. 

And I thanked my Heavenly Father for sending me such wonderful, thoughtful friends.

How did I get to be so lucky?






No comments: