Friday, March 30, 2018

Madhouse

It was a madhouse at work today, I tell ya.  A madhouse. 

See, the powers that be decided that A and C shift both needed to work at the same time.  Two full shifts.  Together.  In one plant.  There were so many people in there when I went to walk to the throne room, I felt like I needed Moses' staff so I could part the person sea.  It was noisy and chaotic, and I don't do well in noisy chaos.  But Supervisor told me, "Let's just have a good day, then you can enjoy your Saturday and Sunday, and have a nice Easter holiday." 

That's what I did.  I kept a positive attitude -- or tried to, at least --and soon it was time to go enjoy my two day weeken.....aaaaaaand here comes C shift production manager.  "Can you work tomorrow?" 

Of course, I said yes.  I can't turn down overtime, because you never know when they're going to say that's it, no more overtime. You have to get it while you can.  On the other hand, a little bird whispered to me not to make any plans for the next few Fridays, so they're not cutting it out completely just yet. 

The good news is, I don't have to be in until 5:00 AM on Saturdays, so I can sleep in!  Yay!

Even more Yay-ish, I got my tax refund today.  It wasn't as much as I used to get when I was Head of Household and had a dependent, but it was more than I got last year.  I promptly paid 2/3 of said refund on my credit card, and moved the other 1/3 into a separate savings account.  The outside of my house needs painting, and some rotten boards need to be replaced.  I'm saving up to have that done later this summer. 

And the Yay-est of all, Squeaky is looking so much better these days.  She seems more alert, less uncomfortable, and her appetite has really increased.  She seems to be gaining weight, and has started washing her face again.  She still needs a bath, but I'm going to wait until it's a little warmer for that.  I don't want her to get a chill after all she's been through the last few months.

Not so Yay-ish-- one of these dogs has gas, and it's pretty rank.  It must be Rylea, because Jesse is scared of his. 

Finally, I know you've been waiting with baited breath to find out what was wrong with Paw Paw's profile.  Did you figure it out? 



All right, all right, I won't keep you in suspense any more.  Look at the dates.  Trader John was born in 1735 and died in 1794.  The first permanent photograph wasn't taken until 1826.  Pictures of the quality and clarity of the one in the profile didn't come along until the mid to late 1800s.  The man in the photograph couldn't possibly be Paw Paw Benge. 

I started to unlink the photo from the profile, but I'm hesitant to do so-- simply because it's a fascinating picture, and I want to find out who that man is.  It's possible he may be a descendant of Trader John, or it could just be a random photo from the internet archives or something. 

There is a guy at work whose nickname for me is White Woman  -- which I am totally OK with, oh, by the way.  Only, now that I've found out I have some Cherokee ancestry, I'm going to have to tell him to call me Mostly White Woman.  Or maybe Off-White Woman.

Or White Woman Who Needs More Sleep.  That could be my Cherokee name. 

It fits. 

No comments: