Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Post

Easter has kind of snuck up on me this year.  Oh, I knew it was April 1, but in my mind, April was still in some far and distant future.  The way I discovered it is not is as follows.

I got to work bright and early this morning, and since they were opening up a C shift version of the line I normally work on, I headed upstairs to run off some production schedules.   While I was up there, I picked up the clipboard to sign up for next weekend. 

C shift production manager was in his office, so I asked him why they'd changed the policy.  Why could A shift people no longer work on Saturdays?  He said it was because they had lots of people signing up for Saturdays, and hardly anyone signing up for Sundays.  They were trying to get more people working on Sundays. 

That's kind of what I thought it was.  He told me if I wanted to work Saturday, to talk to my production manager, but no, I'm OK with working Sundays.  I asked him, "Why can't I sign up for next Sunday?  See, they have it marked out." 

He replied, "We're not running next Sunday."

I said, "Oh, yeah, next Sunday is Easter.  I forgot."

Wait, what?  Next Sunday is Easter?  Easter is next Sunday??????

I immediately dropped the clipboard and rushed around the office in a panic, screaming, "I've got to buy the candy!! Candy!! Easter candy!  Got to buy the candy!!!"

OK, I didn't really do that, but I guess when your kids are grown and gone, you kind of forget about these things.  After work, I went to the store, and I picked up a bit of Easter candy.  I wasn't going to buy Peeps, since I'd gotten that plush Peep last year,


but as I was walking down the aisle, I saw them.  "It just doesn't seem like Easter without Mammaw's Peeps."  So I bought a package of them.

For those of you who may be new to this blog, when I was a kid, every year my Mammaw would buy us all a package of marshmallow Peeps.  I don't really like Peeps, but I always ate them.  Now that I'm an adult, I still don't really like Peeps, but I buy a package every year, thinking of my Mammaw.  It makes me feel closer to her.

OK, back to where I was before I got distracted by candy...

Upstairs...production office... right.  I hung the clipboard back on its peg and began running off the work schedules.  B shift production manager was in his office wrapping up his shift, and C shift production manager was in his office preparing to begin his day.   Suddenly, the radio crackled and both men got up and rushed out the door.  I went downstairs, and here comes a B shift supervisor and a C shift supervisor flying up the aisle.  I asked a coworker who had a radio if she knew what was going on.  She said there was a fight in the parking lot. 

I didn't go out there, figuring it would be all over by the time I got all the way to the parking lot.  Someone told me out later it was a father and a son going at it.  As one of my coworkers said, people can't just discuss their problems calmly, and now they've both just lost their jobs.

Speaking of calm, since it is almost April, I've got to do my taxes this weekend.  Funny how when you know you're getting that big refund, you want to do them early.  But once your kids are grown and gone, and you no longer file Head of Household with dependents, you put it off later and later. 

So, basically, if you hear someone's head exploding some time tomorrow, it'll just be me. 


No comments: