Saturday, March 24, 2018

And Away We Go

It is officially Spring, and I'm so ready to get out in the yard and plant stuff.  I'm still holding back on that, because of the threat of a late frost. 

I almost bought some moss roses yesterday while I was in the store, but didn't.  I looked all over the garden center yesterday for a chupacabra -- known to normal people as a calibrachoa -- to put into one of my hanging baskets, but found this one instead.  It's a brachiosaur. 

Known to normal people as a bacopa. 


I was going to plant it in this hanging basket, but when I got it down, I found something was already growing in it. 


The bad part is, I can't remember what I'd planted in here last, so I have no idea what that is.  I think I have another hanging basket out in the shop.  I just didn't go out there and get it.  Oh, and after I'd checked out and was leaving the store, I found the chupacabras -- by the front doors.  I still might get one after the heat kills off my violas.


I was going to get up and put my weed & feed down this morning, but decided not to because of the threat of impending storms.  Wouldn't you know it, not a drop of rain.  It got dark and windy, but no rain fell.  I'm going to spread it tomorrow, and with my luck, it'll be a torrential down pour all day.

BTW, you know you keep ridiculous hours when you wake up at 4:00 AM and think that is sleeping in. 

No further comment on that.

You will all be pleased to know that I got my taxes done, and my head did not explode. 

I spent most of the rest of the day playing around on Ancestry.com and Familysearch.org.  I found an even closer connection to Scotland.  Seems my 6th great grandfather was born there, and moved to America.  He began trading with the Cherokee Indians, and eventually married a Cherokee woman.  Their granddaughter is my great grandmother Carrie Dean, after whom my sister Deana is named. 

I've also found that I had an ancestor who fought in the American Revolution, one who fought in the War of 1812, ancestors who fought on both sides of the Civil War, and of course, my Pappaw fought in WWI, my dad in WWII and Korea. 

Really, I found more than one ancestor who fought in the Revolution, and one even served under George Washington himself.  I just have to remember where I saw that.





No comments: