Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Upheaval And Weeds


If you know anything about me at all, then you know one thing I do not like is change.  Seriously.  I have been eating the same breakfast and lunch nearly every day for well over a decade.  Rearranging the furniture causes me serious stress.  I don't even like buying new clothes.  I'd just as soon everything stay the same forever.  And ever.

Ever since we got back from Christmas break, I've been in a state of upheaval at work.  My supervisor, Supervisor Nate, is moving to a new job.  Still with the plant, just a different position.  He's been training for the last two weeks, and Supervisor Calvin has been over my area.  Just about the time I get used to working for Calvin again (I've worked for him before, a long time ago), I found out that starting next week, Supervisor Mike will be our supervisor.  I'm kind of feeling like the proverbial frog in a blender here lately.

This afternoon, Mike came over and spoke to a few people on the line.  He thought he was going to get smart with me and asked, "Where are those Dallas Cowboys earrings you usually have in your lobes?"

"In the drawer, right next to your Seattle Seahawks earrings,"  I shot back.  Figuratively speaking, that is.  Supervisor Mike doesn't wear earrings.

All right, then.  Upward and onward...

To some of you, this may look like a lush, green lawn. 


The reality is, it's a yard full of weeds.


I can see at least four different kinds of weeds.  There may be more, I don't know.  I had to run into the store after work for dog food, so I went over to the garden center and picked up some weed killer.  It's Ortho something or other.  Supposed to be safe for grass.  We shall see.  I'm determined that my front yard at least will look nice. 

Since I was outside taking pictures anyway, I thought I'd show you some of the other goings on in the yard.  Here you have a photo of my roses.  What you can see of them anyway. 


I really pruned them back pretty hard, since they had been let to run wild for who knows how long.  I'm not finished with them, but I think I'll leave them alone for this year.  I need to research some more, since I don't really know what I'm doing.  I just cut away the branches that were rubbing or crossing each other, and tried to open up where it was really thick in the middle.  I hope I didn't kill it. 

In this picture, you can see some of my daffodils coming up. 


I put them all in this bed last year. 


Those are spider lilies surrounding it, which I want to move, and I still have several more patches to move or thin besides these, so as you can see, I will have plenty to share.  Anybody who wants some, just hit me up and I'll hook you up.

My next project will be to work on my crepe myrtles.  No, I do not intend to commit crepe murder, but they definitely need some work.  This one is probably the scraggliest of the lot.  


I'm going to see what I can do to shape them up some. 

Wish me luck.  I've never dealt with crepe myrtles before.















No comments: