Thursday, January 12, 2017

Be Careful What You Wish For

Yeah, yeah, I know it's been awhile.  There just hasn't been much interesting going on lately.  Still trying to get back into the groove at work, so there's not much exciting going on there. 

We do have some new people on our line.  Some of them are temps, but one came from second shift.  I won't call her name, but she calls herself "Queen" because that's what she seems to think she is.  And she writes it with 3s instead of the Es.  Like Qu33n.  She has attitude oozing from every pore.

At first, I thought it was just me, since I sometimes have trouble reading people.  However, in the last week, I've heard other coworkers talking.  They've noticed her attitude, too.   For example, yesterday, a couple of the header assemblies weren't fitting onto the coil, so Theresa told the person putting them on to bring them back to Queen to straighten them out.  Queen told the girl that she wasn't going to straighten the headers and for her to give them to me to do.  I guess she thought she was too good to rework headers.

She's also been complaining because when we git a bit ahead in our work, Group Leader Theresa has been asking her to help out on the line.  Now, let me step outside of my story for a moment, and tell you that we all get moved from time to time.  It's not like Theresa has been singling her out.  Everybody has to go and do what needs to be done, whether it's their regular position or not.  But, Queen somehow thinks she should be above such things.  Getting moved is just for us little people, so to speak.  And she's been letting everyone know exactly how she feels about it.

I'm not supposed to be working on the line.  I'm a sub-brazer. 
She's not supposed to move me, I came here to sub-braze. 
How come she never moves you? (Looking disdainfully down her nose at me.)
And don't you people know who my daddy is?

She's been whining to her daddy --who also works there, but isn't anyone of any significance.  He's a peon just like the rest of us.  She's been complaining about how badly she's been treated since she came to day shift.  Yesterday, I overheard him tell her, "Maybe you should take a vacation day.  If they have to run the line without you, they'll see how important you are." 

OK, so now I know where she got the attitude. 

It's a good thing I didn't have anything in my mouth, or everyone over there would have gotten a shower.  I went and told my group leader what he'd said, and she said, "Are you serious?" 

Today, Queen got her wish.  One of the line brazers was absent.  As soon as I saw she wasn't going to be there, I asked Group Leader Theresa if I could go line braze for the day.  I like to do that every once in a while, just so I don't forget how.  As soon as I asked, Theresa got this sly grin on her face and said, "Go ahead." 

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. 

I won't go into all the gory details.  Let's just say it wasn't pretty.  It was not pretty at all.  Theresa called her over to put her own headers on the coils, and she couldn't even do it, because they were so bad.  Maybe now now she understands why Theresa never moves me.   I can definitely say that all the people on the line do understand why Theresa never moves me.   They were begging me to go back to my stand, but Theresa said, "Stay over here a little longer." 

I have a feeling it will be a long, long time before Theresa moves me again. 

Ah, but I said I didn't want my blog to be nothing but griping about work, so let's talk about something else.  Such as knitting.


I'm still working on this scarf.  I've gotten to the point that my skein was starting to fall apart, so I had to wind the rest of my yarn into a ball. 


I'm almost done, but got kind of bored with it.  So, I picked up my sock again.


This is after two pattern repeats.  I'll probably knit two more repeats before beginning the heel flap. 

Sometimes, though, you just need mindlessness, so I started another square on the sock yarn blanket.


The good news is, we are getting a long weekend.  We get Monday off for MLK day, and I have a long list of things I want to get done.

The reality is, I'll probably sit in front of the TV all weekend. 


No comments: