Monday, January 02, 2017

Monday Miscellany

Back in the day, back when James found Squeaky wandering in my front yard, I didn't know when she'd been born. She looked like she was around 4 months old, so I arbitrarily assigned her a January birthday.   What better day in January to acknowledge her birth than the first?

Yes, I know today is the second, but there just didn't seem to be any place to put her birthday in yesterday's post without disrupting the flow of what I was writing.  Eh, she's not picky.  So, Happy Birthday, Squeaky.  It's her sweet 16th.

Squeaky says, "You woke me up for this?????"


Her Highness was not amused.  But at least I escaped unbloodied -- this time.


OK, then, moving right along...

My big project for the day was to get my Christmas decorations all taken down and put away.  Nifty thing is, one day last week when I was out getting some firewood, I discovered that the previous owner had stacked some of that wood on a pallet.  I'm not sure what it's made out of, but it looks like some kind of hard rubber or plastic. 

I got out there and got it.  I washed it off and put it into my shed to put my Christmas tree on.  When it rains, the floors in my shed get very wet.  I'm not sure if the rain is running in under my doors or if it's just the humidity.  I had some books in cardboard boxes get ruined because of this.  When I first realized what was happening, I set my Christmas tree up on some pieces of wood, so the stand wouldn't rust from sitting in water.  Setting it up on this pallet will be even better. 

I really need to start working on cleaning that shed out. 

Anyway, I wanted to get everything put back into the shed before the expected storms hit, and let me tell you, I barely made it.  Not 5 minutes after I'd taken the last box out there, the bottom dropped out and it came a regular gully washer. 


We got quite a bit of rain, but not the bad storms they were predicting.  At least, not here where I live.   There was a tornado South of here, but no injuries have been reported.

I've been blogging for a while now, but I don't have a really huge following.  My blog usually gets between 75 - 100 hits per post.  Not a whole lot, but not too shabby, either.  Every once in a while, though, I publish a post that gets an inordinate number of hits.  Like this one:


I wonder what it is about that one post that made it get 920 hits.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  I just wonder what made it so interesting, and what can I do to make the rest of my posts just as interesting? 

Finally, Beverly has been going through some of her mother's old photos and posted these.  This first one was taken around 1954 or 1955. 


That's my dad, standing in the back in the middle.  His two sisters are on either side of him, along with their husbands and children.  That's my Mammaw and Pappaw sitting in the front.

This next one looks like it was taken in late 1951 or early 1952. 


This last one was taken in the late 1940s. 


My dad is in his Army uniform, but I don't know if this was taken before he went to Japan, or after he got back.

Well, I have to go back to work tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward to it.  But at least, maybe I'll have something interesting to blog about. 

We shall see.


No comments: