Monday, August 15, 2016

Animals

I'm telling ya, animals have been the bane of my existence this weekend.  It all started Saturday morning on the way to work.  There was a possum at the side of the road.  I slowed down and moved over, and what did the fuzzy little critter do?  He darted out in front of me.

Yeah, I needed that heart attack to start my day, thank you very much.  Fortunately, I didn't hit him.  Just as fortunately, there were no other cars on the road at that time.  Hey, you'd be surprised at how busy the roads can be at 3:30 on a Saturday morning.

Then, on the way home, I ran into the same situation, only this time it was a squirrel with a death wish.  He kept running back and forth in front of me.  I didn't hit him either, and the normally busy highway 51 was deserted at that time.  I made it home without murdering any little furry things, thank goodness.

Friday, Cody had sent me a text.  He was coming up to spend Saturday with a friend, and was going to stop by for a visit before heading back to Clinton.  He didn't tell me he was bringing DeJuan with him.  I'd have swept the floor if I had known.  They stayed about an hour, and Cody decided to take his ball python back with him. So, now I am down to 6 snakes.

I got up this morning to see Cody had posted this picture on his Facebook page.


I had to go back and find this one, taken the day we got Monty.  They both were so little back then!


Since Cody was here Saturday evening, I waited until Sunday to mow.  I got the part behind the fence mowed, and weedeated around my fire pit.  I mowed the backyard, then decided to go inside and cool off a bit before tackling the front yard.

After a few minutes, I walked out to get the lawn mower out of the shed and a red wasp stung me right on the ear.  Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I tracked down that little Spawn of Satan and sent her back into the fiery pits of Hell from whence she came.  Then I killed four more for good measure.

I took some Benadryl, and by the time I finished mowing, I could feel it taking effect.  I turned on some Piano Guys videos, and soon I was feeling groovy...

When I woke up this morning, my ear was all red and swollen, and looked like some weird, brain eating space amoeba had attached itself to the side of my head.
 

You can kind of see how the redness is going down my neck, too.

I seriously thought about calling in and going back to bed, but I didn't.  I was stubborn and went to work anyway.  My ear was burning and itching and hurting all at the same time.  I was absolutely miserable, but determined to make it through the work day.  When I got home, I put some Benadryl cream on it, and it felt much better.  Tomorrow, I'm going to take the stuff with me.

Oh, one more thing before I go.  Early Sunday morning, I was taking some trash out, when I noticed my next door neighbor had gotten a new deer statue for her yard.


Then the statue turned and looked at me.  Blimey!  It was a real deer!  I was trying really stealthily to put all the trash down and get my phone out of my pocket to take a picture.  I got one, but that was too much for the deer.  She turned and ran off into the woods.

It's been a long time since I've seen one that close up.

No comments: