Tuesday, July 05, 2016

It's Not Monday


It's not Monday, but it sure feels like it.  The first day back at work after a holiday is always hard.  It's even harder when you get up at 3:30, after being able to sleep until 6:00 the last couple of days.

I had a quiet holiday.  Cody had to work, so was unable to come home.  The good news is, I got my flag up!  I haven't been able to hang my flag for far too many years.  See, when I bought my trailer house, I knew I was going to eventually have to sell it.  For this reason, I didn't want to put any holes in the walls, or door frame, or anything.  So, I didn't hang my flag.

Then my beloved son decided to hang his gun rack in his bedroom.  With screws and drywall anchors.  Yeah...

But the rest of the house was hole free.

When I bought my new house, I was so excited that I could finally hang my flag again.  However, the first time I tried to put up my hanger -- so my flag would be up for Memorial Day-- I discovered that I didn't have the right size screws.  I kept checking at Wal-mart, and they never had the right size.  The ones that fit the holes in my hanger were too short.  I wanted at least 1 1/2" screws, because my flag is big.  It's a 4' x 6', and I was afraid shorter screws wouldn't hold it up.

The next goal was for Flag Day, but alas, still no screws.  Finally, they got some of the right size screws in just in time for Independence Day.  So, yay, the flag is up.


That first day, I kept going to my front window, just to watch it wave.  It's a beautiful sight.  All these people saying they're offended by the American flag, well I suggest they move to a country that doesn't fly it.

Interesting bit of trivia, when I first came to look at this house before I bought it, there were four American flags flying on the road.  Four -- in less than half a mile.  And it wasn't even a holiday. I stood in my front yard and thought, "All these flags flying...this looks like a neighborhood I want to be a part of."  That was a big factor in my buying this house.

Yesterday, as I was looking out at my flag, I noticed it had gotten wrapped around the pole.  I went out to unwrap it, and heard my neighbor Norma call my name.  "Do you like tomatoes?"  Oh, yeah, I love tomatoes.  They give me terrible heartburn, but I eat them anyway.  "I'll bring you some."


Because this is America, and that's how we roll.

She told me she and her husband had gone to visit their younger son in Arkansas, and stopped at some Farmer's market type of place and bought a bunch of tomatoes.  They were giving some to all the neighbors.  After thanking her profusely, I promptly went back inside and made myself a tomato sandwich.


I'd never eaten a tomato sandwich until I moved to Mississippi.  Boy was I missing out.

I spent the rest of the weekend watching patriotic movies and working on my needlepoint dinosaurnaments.  That's what it says on the package.  Dinosaurnaments.  Clever, huh?


I also knit a little bit on the hat, but I didn't take a picture.  I did take a picture of one of my lavender crepe myrtles.


They're really starting to come on now, and are going to be so pretty.

I think tomorrow after work, I'm going to run to the store and see if they have those American flag paper plates on clearance.  If they do, I'm stocking up.

Because 'Murica.



No comments: