Sunday, July 24, 2016

Adventures In Being HOT

Yesterday, my coworker told me she enjoyed my throwback post so much that I needed to do another one.  (She also told me to tell you she really needs to get a life.  But that's not for me to say.)  So here ya go:


That's me at 2 months.  It doesn't get much more thrown back than that, unless my brother can dig up a picture of my mother pregnant with me. Yes, my dad always took the baby belly pictures in profile, and yes, my mom always hated them, but they're out there somewhere.  If they didn't get ruined in the hurricane, that is.  So many of my dad's old pictures did.  I lost a lot of my childhood in that storm.

Moving right along, when I got home from work, I walked into my house and it seemed warmer than usual.  I initially thought it was just because it is July, you know.  I went on to the store and did my little bit of shopping.

Oh, and I found a bunch of Pokespots down town by the square.  And at least one gym.  But I digress...

First thing I did when I got to the store was to go into the garden center and find that machete.


And there it is.  When I picked it up and balanced it, though, it just seemed big.  I thought if I'm going to carry something that big, I'd rather just carry a full sized ax.  I walked down the aisle and picked an ax up.  I hefted it and balanced it, and it just felt so much better in my hands than the machete did.  I told you my ancestors were vikings.  Did you think I was joking?

When I got home, the house was really hot, like up into the 80s.  I went outside and checked the unit.  The pipe thing that goes from the unit up into the house was really cold.  I thought it might be frozen up, so I just turned the compressor off.  I didn't want to ruin it.  I left the fan running, to keep some air moving in the house.

I got on FB and put out a request in the local group for someone who would come out on a weekend and look at it.  I got several recommendations, but only one of them even answered my message.  He's a deputy sheriff, and said he wouldn't be able to come look at it until Monday morning.  I told him I have jury duty and wouldn't be there that morning.  He said he has to go out of town tomorrow afternoon.  That put us in a bit of a bind, so he said that he'd try to come out this evening and just look at it to see if it was something he could fix without having to get inside the house.  Nice guy.

I was going to tough it out, but about 3:00, it was up to 87 in the house, and I was so miserably hot that I went into town and bought a window unit.  I'd been debating on getting one for the bedroom anyway, and this seemed as good an excuse as any.  So, I got it installed and we're basically living in the bedroom until the central unit can be fixed.


That black stuff is supposed to be packing material, but I put it on the bottom there, to insulate around the a/c.

On the way out, I saw these.


They tell me one thing:  Fall is on the way!  Fall means cooler weather, pumpkins, colors, and football!  It's my favorite time of the year.

Around 5:30, the a/c man showed up.  He apologized for being late.  He said he'd just gone on duty when he got called to a domestic.  He turned the unit on, and said he heard the compressor kick in, so he thinks I might just be low on Freon.  That would have made that pipe thingy freeze up, too.  He's going to run by and charge it up in the morning before he leaves town.

I'm hoping that fixes it, so I no longer have to be held hostage in my bedroom.  I'm glad now I bought that second TV. This whole incident has got me to thinking.  How in the world did our ancestors survive?

They were surely made out of tougher stuff than we are.

No comments: