Saturday, August 31, 2013

I Miss Out On Everything

Normally, I am a very light sleeper.  Even in temperate weather, I can't sleep with the windows open.  If a dog barks half a mile up the road, it wakes me up.

Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night, because I got hot.  The power had gone out, so my air conditioner and bedroom fan weren't working.  I wondered why the power was out, because it wasn't stormy. 

"This is an odd time of the year for a power outage," I thought to myself.

I eventually fell back to sleep, waking again briefly when the power came back on because my fan rattled.  By the time I woke up this morning, I'd forgotten all about it.

Until Beverly called and told me I'd slept through quite a bit of mayhem.

Seems someone was driving a little too fast down my road and ran head on into the telephone pole right across the street from my house.   He didn't survive. 

There were police cars, and fire trucks, and an ambulance and sirens and shouting and dogs barking, and live wires down across the vehicle.  They had to call the power company to come and shut off the electricity so that they could get the man out of the car.  Or truck, I'm not sure which it was. 

And I slept through every bit of it. 

Boy, I really must have been tired. 


No comments: