Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Matchmaking


I've got a couple of coworkers who seem determined to get me married off.  I had one that actually said so.

"Becky," she said.  "I'm going to see you married before I leave this place."

She doesn't work there any more, and I'm still not married.  But there are a couple more who seem to have taken up her mantle and are determined to get me married off.

Seriously, if I wanted to be married, I could have been married years ago.  I've had plenty of offers.  I've turned them all down.  I'm just not the marrying kind.  When someone comes along and makes me change my mind about that, then I'll consider it. 

Anyway, one of these women came up to me the other day and asked, "Have you found you a man yet?"

"Not since you asked me two weeks ago," was my reply.

"Well, why not?" she asked.

So, I tried to explain in a way her feeble mind could understand.  (Bear in mind that this is the same co-worker who tried to diagnose me as bi-polar because I enjoy writing.)

"I'm not the kind of person who is going to be with just any man, just so I won't be alone.  I'm content to wait until the right man comes along."

"There ain't no right man," she interrupted.  "They're all the same."

It was at this point that I almost started the fight.  But I managed to keep my mouth shut.  What really I wanted to say was,

"Well, that explains a lot.  I always did wonder what you saw in that one you're married to."

I managed to keep my mouth shut, wonder of wonders.  Seriously, though, her husband is a very nice man.  He's always friendly, and I don't think I've ever seen him without a smile on his face.

I do disagree with my co-worker, though.   People seem to think that when I say right man, I must mean perfect man, but that isn't it at all.  I just mean the one who is right for me.  The best fit, so to speak. 

Look at it this way, we know that there are definitely wrong men out there.  And if there is a wrong man, there must be a right man.

Right? 

No comments: