Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Earworm

According to Urban Dictionary.com, an earworm is defined as a song that sticks in your mind, and will not leave no matter how much you try.  I get them frequently.  There is currently no known treatment for earworms.  You just have to let them run their course.

Usually my earworm for the day is the last song I heard on the radio while driving to work.   Or sometimes it's the most annoying song I know.




Today was different, though.  Today's earworm session started out with a round of Pachelbel's Canon in D.



 Then we moved on to Beethoven's 9th, the 4th movement.



 Let me tell you, I had a full orchestra going on inside my head on that one.  I was really getting in to it, and I was conducting my imaginary orchestra, and everyone was staring and I was like, "Don't mind me, this is what life inside my head is like".

OK, moving right along...

I took a brief foray into some Tchaikovsky



And some Rachmaninoff



and went back and forth between Pachelbel and Beethoven for a while.  About lunchtime, I finally settled on Tchaikovsky for the rest of the day.  I was trying really hard to call up some Mozart, but it just wouldn't come, so I had to settle for the worms that were already in my ears.

And I wonder why people think I'm weird.  *insert eyeroll of your choice here*

Interesting thing about that Tchaikovsky piece.  When I'm rushed or stressed, that's the song I tend to hum.  A couple of years ago, we had an engineer from Dallas come in and think he was going to fix everything in the plant. 

He didn't.

But that's not the point.  He was filming me brazing some headers to take back later for analysis.  The film, I mean.  Not the headers.

Not really film, either, since he was recording me on his iPhone.

Anyway...I digress.

He was filming me brazing some headers and I was almost through when I asked him, "Does that have sound on it?"  He replied in the affirmative, and I said, "Oh, boy.  Everyone who sees this is going to hear me singing Tchaikovsky."

OK, maybe it wasn't that interesting.

Um, I'm going to bed now.

Goodbye forever.

Sheesh...

No comments: