Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Fall!


 Fall has always been my favorite season of the year. The colors.  The decorations. The smells. The crisp days, and chilly nights. Holidays. Football. I just love Fall.

This year, Fall is bittersweet to me. I got out this morning and tidied up my flower beds, and it kind of made me sad, knowing that it won't be long before the it will all be gone for the year.  I'll just have to enjoy them while I can.


Me and the butterflies.



On the bright side, I've got more and more spider lilies showing their red heads.

 

The last batch I planted haven't really bloomed much, but they are putting up leaves. That leaves --ha ha, get it?-- me hopeful that they will bloom next year, when they've had a chance to get settled in.  I actually did take a picture of the little leaves coming up, but on my computer screen, it just looked like dirt.  So, I'll spare you that.  I'm sure you know what dirt looks like.

Wanna hear something funny?

I have this low spot out behind my house.  I've gotten into the habit of throwing food scraps into that low spot.  Not everything.  Just stuff like banana peels, fresh vegetable scraps, things like that.  Pretty much anything that will compost.   Anyway, a while back, I threw a few tomato scraps out there.  There must have been some seeds, because one of them sprouted and grew.


It's even got blooms on it!


OK, OK, I know the picture is sideways.  It uploaded that way for some reason, and I didn't feel like going through all the hasslement it would take to fix it.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the new blogger format?  It's soooooo difficult to use, compared to the old one.  But, I guess, you get what you pay for, and if you're using a free blog hosting site, you can expect crap.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled blog post.

The rest of the day was spent watching football and knitting.  I finally got around to buying the yarn to make me a Jayne Cobb hat.  And here it is:


They are Red Heart Super Saver in Gold, Maroon, and Carrot.  And here is the hat progress:


I spent a bit of time on the sock, too.  I've gotten past the heel turn and am working on the gusset decreases.  That's always my favorite part of the sock.

Can you just hear the sarcasm dripping from my keyboard?  I really don't like doing gusset decreases.



I  finished reading the first book in the Gregor The Overlander series.  It was really good.  I wish I'd found them when Cody was little.  I'm sure he would have enjoyed them.  We read together every night before bed, until he was old enough to stay up later than I did. 

That put and end to our reading together. 

But it was good while it lasted.





No comments: