Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Exciting Weekend

 If you've read my blog for any length of time, you will know that I have seven snakes. Snakes, like all living things need food. The food that most snakes eat is rodents.

I order humanely euthanized, frozen rodents from a company called Rodent Pro. However, to keep them frozen, the rodents must be carefully packed, insulated, and shipped with a huge chunk of dry ice. This means that shipping costs are massively expensive. So, I usually order two or three years of food at once. As you may imagine, this puts quite the strain on my little freezer.

I'd most recently ordered food back in August. You may remember how full my freezer was.

Part of the problem is that snakes don't eat that often.  My ball pythons only eat once a month-- if they don't go on a hunger strike, that is.  The colubrids eat twice a month.  As a result, 2 1/2 months later, my freezer almost looks the same. 

(Pay no attention to those Mint chocolate chip Klondike bars.)

I had food in there for me.  I had turkey, chicken, deer meat-- stuff I wanted to eat, but I couldn't find it in there under all the rats.  I decided it was time. Past time, actually. I'd been needing a deep freeze for a while. I just didn't want to clean out my utility room. If you saw my utility room, you'd understand.

But, the situation had reached the critical point, so on my day off Friday, I dived in and got all the junk out of there.

By the time I got through, I was too tired to go get my freezer.  It could wait one more day.

Early Saturday morning, I got dressed and drove in to Wal-Mart and bought my freezer.   I had to lay it down on its side to get it into my Jimmy, and the stockman who trollied it out for me made sure I knew to let it set for a while before plugging it up.  I'd already known that you have to let them set when you move them, but I wasn't sure for how long. Turns out, if you tilt it more than 45 degrees, you have to let it set for 24 hours before plugging it in.  Bummer...

I got it home, and James came over and helped me get it into my utility room.

I had to do a little rearranging to get even this stuff back in there.  Most of what was in there before wouldn't fit any more, what with the new freezer taking up so much room. 

Finally, the waiting was over! Once I got home from church, I plugged the little dear in, and in no time at all, it was getting cold in that there freezer.

Sigh, you know I live a dull life when I get excited over putting the first bag of snake food into my deep freeze.

But I did. I jumped up and down, squealed, and posted a picture to Facebook. Um, maybe I shouldn't have admitted that last bit.

I spent the rest of the afternoon vacuum sealing snake food and moving it to its new home. And look what I found when I was finished!

People food!  I knew there was some in there somewhere.  So that was my exciting weekend.  Now comes the hard part-- trying to figure out what to do with all the junk I took out of there.

Oh, and I got new houseshoes, too.


Bag Blog said...

We worked on our kitchen some this weekend. I have the same problem - what to do with all the stuff.

Becky said...

Seems like it never ends, Doesn't it, Lou?


Related Posts with Thumbnails