Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Full Rich Day

Today we had what is known in M*A*S*H episodes as a full rich day.

It started about 2:00 in the morning, when the storms started. They were some bad storms too. High wind, buckets--no lakes of rain, hail. The works.



I was awakened by the storm, an while laying in bed wondering if my house was going to blow away, I heard a little voice call, "Mom?". Thinking he was calling from his room, I got up to check on him. I opened my bedroom door and there he was! Gave me quite a start. I guess he was getting me back for this.

I got him settled on the couch, after he told me he thought the hail was going to come through the roof. To which I replied, "Well, it never has before." Ok, ok, I could think too straight at 2:00 AM. I looked outside, and we were getting about marble sized hail. However, a co-worker told me it got to golf ball size at his house.

The storms continued for the rest of the night, and I never really got back to sleep. I dozed a bit, but didn't really sleep. Unfortunately, the alarm went off at 5:15 as usual.



When I woke Cody up to get ready for school, I discovered he was broke out in hives. I gave him a Benadryl and sent him back to bed. I went on to work as usual.

Around 9:00, a commotion ensued, and to our dismay, it was storming again. I looked out the receiving dock doors and it was so dark, it looked like night time outside. The storms hit again around noon, which only added to the shock when I got off at 3:00 PM and walked out to bright blue skies and sunshine.

I got home to find a couple of good sized limbs down in the yard,


but no real damage.

We're supposed to have a couple of dry days, but more rain by the weekend. I think my house is going to float away.

I went into the office at work today, and put in for vacation for the rest of the June weekends, since I don't know when the test will be. If you wait too long, the days fill up and they don't let you have them. Once I find out the date of the test, I will cancel the other weekends.

I felt obligated to explain to my shift supervisor why I was requesting every weekend in June off. When I told him about my black belt test coming up, he said, "Black belt? You do karate?"

I replied, "Yes, I've been doing it for three years."

He said, "So if anyone jumps me in here, I should call you and not Johnny Lindley."

I answered, "That depends on whether you want him took care of, or just hollered at. If you want him hollered at, call Johnny. If you want him took care of, call me."

You have to know Johnny Lindley.

2 comments:

Buck said...

Ya know, I thought about you (and those storms) as I watched the Weather Channel the other night. While I know you're somewhere near Ripley, MS (Site Meter), I really don't know where Ripley actually IS!

We've had our share of Spring storms this past week, but not nearly enough rain. Wanna ship some out this way?

:-)

Becky G said...

Aww, thanks Buck. It did get pretty hairy there for a while.

Believe it or not, I don't even know exactly where Ripley is.

Sigh...I wish I could send you some rain. My yard will take months to dry out.