Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I Did It!

I gave Scarlett her liquid feeding tonight by myself! Cody's help was not required. I think she must be getting used to it, because she is much calmer about it than when we started. I've both increased the amount I'm feeding her--we're up to 2.5 CCs now--and reduced the amount of water mixed in to the food, and I believe the little bugger is actually gaining weight! She sure looks a lot fatter than she did a month ago. I'm going to give her a couple more liquid feedings, then try another pinky head. And pray she keeps it down so I can get her back on whole mice. I can't imagine trying to tube feed a 3 foot snake!

The other snakes are doing well. Except for Slider, that is. Ball pythons are known to go off their feed for months at a time, and he has. I've tried everything I can think of to get him to eat, even to the point of opening his mouth and putting the rat's head inside. He just spit it back out. I wouldn't worry so much but he appears to be losing weight.

Sunset has finally started calming down. He doesn't roam his tank as incessantly as he had been doing. I'm hoping he starts eating again soon. He hasn't eaten in just as long as Slider, but Sunny is still plenty fat and sassy. He may have lost a little weight, but he needed to anyway.

Onyx hasn't eaten in about a month either, but he gave me a beautiful shed this evening and I hope he starts eating again, too. I measured him, and he is almost 39"long. He and Snow run neck and neck for being my longest snake, though when they reach full adult hood, I think Snow might just win that race.

Monty's appetite has picked up tremendously. Cody decided to try to feed him for the first time Saturday. I told Cody to wiggle the mouse in front of Monty's hide so he'd strike at it. Well, Cody accidentally dropped the mouse, and Monty grabbed it before it even hit the ground.

Snow has been my best eater so far. She has never refused a meal. In fact, I put her on a diet she was getting so fat. I'm going to start feeding her every 14 days for a while until she slims down a bit. She is just going blue, so she'll shed in about a week.

And baby Blaze is growing like a weed. He shed last week, and I always measure them when they shed. Since switching Blaze to the next size mice, he has grown 3 inches in 5 weeks!

And that's how my snakes are faring.

Sometimes I sit down at my blog, and can't think of a thing to say. That happened a couple of days ago. My one faithful reader may have noticed that there was no post Monday. I just couldn't think of anything to blog about. I'm not real big on talking politics, and haven't done any new sketches...

Speaking of drawing, I've almost worked up the courage to try the Baby Brandon exercise from the Drawing for Dummies book. It is a portrait of the Author's grandson--just a head shot. I've always been intimidated at the thought of drawing people, but I am about ready to try this one. Frankly, DAUB just isn't cutting it for me. The book simply isn't any fun.

Oh, and I started a new knitting project--still using stash yarn. It is a hat (yes, another one) and scarf set done in the colors of my old alma mater, Hardin-Simmons University. That would be purple and gold. It actually looks pretty nice together. And as always, I'll post pictures when it is done.

No comments: