Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Bit of Good News


Two bits of good news, actually.

First off, this guy finally ate last night.

He'd been eating mice all his life, but mice aren't enough for a snake this size. I was trying to switch him to rats. He ate the first two I offered him just fine, then refused to eat any more.

For 2 1/2 months.

During the past week, I had a "Duh" moment. He's used to eating mice. He might not like rats. I decided to offer him mice at his next feeding, just to see if he would eat them. He did. Well, one, at least. I offered two, but he refused the second one. At least I know there's something he will eat. For now, I'll offer him mice every 4-5 days to fatten him back up, then we'll try to get him switched over to rats. I'll scent the rats with something like Mouse Maker, gradually reducing the amount of scent until he is eating straight rats. Hopefully it will work. He needs to be on rats at his size.

Secondly, Scarlett is blue! In snake slang, that means she is getting ready to shed. Scarlett, if you'll remember, is the one I had so much trouble with her throwing up and have been tube feeding her for the last month. A month ago, I thought she was going to die, now she's going to shed. I'll hold off feeding her until after the shed, and will measure her as well. I don't expect her to have grown much, but we'll see.

Sunset is blue as well. After this shed, I sure hope he starts eating again.

Hmmm, given the tone of these recent posts, maybe I should change the title of this blog to Snakes and More.

So here's a DAUB pencil sampler exercise to get back on topic...

1 comment:

Buck said...

Hmmm, given the tone of these recent posts, maybe I should change the title of this blog to Snakes and More.

I had the exact same thought, LOL!

It's good to hear things are looking up on the reptile front!