Friday, April 28, 2006

HodgePodge

When I was a kid, there used to be a show on TV called Hodgepodge Lodge. I don't remember what it was about, but I do remember I liked the sound of the name.

But what exactly is a hodgepodge? I had a definition in my head, but I wondered if it was the right one, so I looked it up in a couple of different places.

This is from Funk & Wagnall's Desk Standard Dictionary, 1925 edition:

Hodgepodge, n. Same as HOTCHPOTCH--a pudding made of many mixed ingredients.

This is from BrainyDictionary Online:

Hodgepodge A mixed mass; a medley. See Hotchpot.

And from Dictionary.com:

hodge·podge n. A mixture of dissimilar ingredients; a jumble. [Alteration of Middle English hochepot, from Old French, stew. See hotchpot.]

hodgepodge n 1: a motley assortment of things [syn: odds and ends, oddments, melange, farrago, ragbag, mishmash, mingle-mangle, hotchpotch, omnium-gatherum] 2: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas [syn: patchwork, jumble]

Funny how the definitions change over the years.

On to other news...

I received the Grapefruit Seed Extract yesterday and began putting it into Scarlett's water. I'm beginning to get really worried about her. She doesn't really seem to be losing much weight, and she is still pretty active at night, but she seems to be slowing down some. She seems kind of listless to me. I just wish she could hold her meals down. She needs nutrition. Wednesday will be 10 days from her last regurge, but I'm thinking of trying to feed her tomorrow or Sunday. It's a debate, though. If I do feed her and she regurges again, I'll be kicking myself forever. But what if she doesn't? What if the medicine the doctor gave her works? Decisions, decisions....

Only in this case, it could be a matter of life and death.

No comments: