Thursday, February 09, 2006

Three Things I've Learned


since I've lived in Mississippi:

1) The past tense of the verb to set is "sot".
2) The proper pronunciation of the word spelled P-O-I-N-T is "pernt".
3) The past tense of the phrase let it go is "let it went".

My lunch break ran out before I could finish this sketch of a beautiful seagull. Stupid buzzer! In the not too distant future, I'm going to do a detailed drawing of this bird.

I was reading a flier I got in the mail trying to get me to buy a weight loss book. In one paragraph it said that if you sleep cool, you sleep better and therefore lose more weight. So I turned my heated matress pad down a couple of settings. And froze. Wondering why I was still so cold, when the matress pat was plenty warm, I had a DUH! moment. I still had my light cotton summer blanket on the bed! As soon as I got home, I dug out my heavier fleece blanket from the closet. I expect to be toasty warm tonight.

Well, I'm off to karate. Tuesday night, sensei had me and James teaching some of the lower ranks. We were both fighting over who was going to get to teach Sally. And Sally is a great lady, but it was really more because neither of us wanted to teach Brian! I ended up getting stuck with him. Brian is very mouthy, rude, and disrespectful. And I don't think it's because he intends to be that way. He just doesn't realize how he sounds to people.

Just one thing before I go, ya gotta check out this darling picture.

2 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I can relate to having students who don't mean to be hard to deal with but just are. The embarrasing thing is that in our dojo the kid people fight not to teach (including me) is my son! He's just so distractable and so unimpressed by authority that he's hair-tearingly difficult to teach, even though he's very bright and really wants to learn.

Becky G said...

I can relate. Cody is not bad to teach, but most kids don't like him because he can't control his mouth. He can really get on your nerves, too. He is eager to learn, but once he knows something, he doesn't want to keep going over it. Basics, for example, are something he usually sulks his way through.