Friday, February 10, 2006

My Other Brother


Scott. My cousin took this picture when they went to Texas right before Christmas.

Well, I finally got Cody back onto the bus. I took Perpetual Beginner's advice, and parked my rear in Dr White's office until she showed up and talked to me. I took a thick book with me. (Actually, a series of 5 novels in one volume. The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. Highly recommended.) She still gave me the royal runaround, though. I swear the woman should go into politics. She made it absolutely clear that she was not going to make a decision on this matter. Anyway, she sat there with her arms figuratively crossed, refusing to talk to me until I said, "it's getting to the point that I'm going to have to withdraw him from school." Boy, you should have seen her falling all over herself to help me then! I ended up talking with the bus driver, and he told me that Cody was more than welcome to ride the bus and that he'd never had a problem out of him other than that one incident. He also took my phone number, and said that next time he had a problem, he'd just call me. So that is settled and Cody rode the bus home this afternoon. And guess what happened...on his very first bus ride in two months, he gets punched in the face by another kid. The kid was poking Cody with a tree, and Cody tried to take it from him, and the other kid punched him. So I called Cody's principal (Mr Craven, NOT Dr. White) and reported the incident to him. He said he'd call the other kid's principal Monday and talk to him about it.

I didn't think I'd get to post today. My main breaker was going bad, and my power kept flickering off. Very annoying. We ended up turning the house power completely off and spending the night with my cousin. Today I got an electrician out to replace the breaker, and so far so good. It's been over two hours since I reset the microwave clock, and the power hasn't flickered yet. So I'm hoping that fixed the problem. The neat thing about the electrician I called is that he didn't bill me today. He said we'd wait until we were sure that would solve the problem. He's a really nice guy. He also does plumbing work and replaced a busted water pipe for me last winter. He remembered, not only my name, but that we keep snakes and take karate. Really nice guy. You can bet I'll be calling him when I have the money to get my plumbing fixed.

Ok, I just realized that some of you may be wondering why a kid had a tree on the school bus. The elementary school has its arbor day program today, and they gave out seedling pine trees. Cody got one last year, and planted it in the back yard. Remarkably, it didn't get mowed down. I'm bad about that...

I'm off to watch the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics.

1 comment:

Perpetual Beginner said...

When you said Cody was being poked with a tree, my first thought was of the little pine trees my school handed out on Arbor Day. How funny that that's what it was.

I'm glad Cody's back on the bus. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things go more smoothly from here on out.

Power outages are really annoying. I had one cost me three hours sleep once because the only battery powered clock we had has no alarm. This has since been fixed.

I can't wait to start watching the Olympics, but I have to wait until Monday as my husband dislikes sports of any kind.