Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Running out of Ideas


of what to sketch. So I worked on some technical exercises. I was trying to sketch a realistic leaf, and make it appear to be floating off the page. It took four tries to get this one. Sometimes I dispair of ever being able to sketch the way I want to.

This is Chad. He is 11 years old, and a high purple belt. He will be testing for his third degree brown belt soon. He is in the adult class because he simply was not being challenged in the children's class. He is that good. Last night, Chad led his group in kata for the first time. I think he was amazed that these adults were doing what he told them. As the highest rank in his group, it was his place to bow them in and begin the kata. It was good for him to get a little taste of leadership. He's a bit on the shy side.

Speaking of karate, sensei told me I'd better get started on my black belt essay.

This made me laugh out loud:

Squirrel Revival

2 comments:

Becky G said...

Thank you for the compliment, Joseph. You are right about one thing, it is much easier to draw something with a good reference, either a photo or drawing. However, the only way to improve in drawing from imagination is to do it. That is why I draw without references from time to time.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Congratulations to Chad. I can understand why he is a little amazed. I'm 36 and I'm still surprised when I'm put in charge of something and the lower ranking students defer to me. Sensei's daughter is my rank, but senior for time in belt, and I cannot get her to take the lead if we're both teaching a section (she's eleven also).