Monday, January 02, 2023

Starting The New Year Right

It is at this time of year that most people set for themselves resolutions for the coming annum.  Me, I haven't made New Year's Resolutions in quite some time, but this year I'm going to make an exception.  I'm actually going to make one.  A resolution, that is.  

So, what is this big resolution I'm making, you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  

Keep scrolling. 

That's it.  Just keep scrolling.  

When I see you getting bamboozled by a hoax you didn't bother to research...I'm going to just keep scrolling.

When I see you posting an obviously photoshopped picture that you didn't bother to verify...I'm going to just keep scrolling.

When I see you passing on manipulated data that you didn't confirm...I'm just going to keep scrolling.

The memes you took at face value, the altered videos, the internet rumors with absolutely no basis in fact, the flat out lies...I'm just going to keep scrolling.

Yep, I'm just going to sit here and let you "upgrade the system" and "kill the ads" by coping and pasting a status, while I just....I'm just going to keep on scrolling.

But don't think for one minute I haven't fact checked you in my mind...


 In other goals, I'm going to try to spend more time reading and less playing games on my Kindle.  In fact, just this weekend, I've deleted five of my games.  I used to be an avid reader, but have kind of gotten away from that.  For some reason, I've take it into my head that I can only read when I'm on my lunch break at work.  I've stopped reading at home, pretty much completely. I'm going to try to get back to that, and maybe watch less TV.  That might even help my blogging some. Maybe reading more will wake my brain back up.

With that in mind, here are the two books I'm reading right now. 

Sold On A Monday, by Kristina McMorris


2 CHILDREN FOR SALE. The sign is a last resort. It sits on a farmhouse porch in 1931, but could be found anywhere in an era of breadlines, bank runs and broken dreams. It could have been written by any mother facing impossible choices.

For struggling reporter Ellis Reed, the gut-wrenching scene evokes memories of his family's dark past. He snaps a photograph of the children, not meant for publication. But when it leads to his big break, the consequences are more devastating than he ever imagined.

Inspired by an actual newspaper photograph that stunned the nation, Sold on a Monday has celebrated five months on the New York Times bestsellers list and continues to especially captivate fans of Lisa Wingate's Before We Were Yours and Kristin Hannah's The Four Winds.


Eh, it's an OK, book so far.  I'm not even halfway through, but it seems to be more about the reporter than the children.  Maybe they'll get back to the kids further into the book.  I'll let you know. 


Keeper Of Enchanted Rooms, by Charlie N. Holmburg


Rhode Island, 1846. Estranged from his family, writer Merritt Fernsby is surprised when he inherits a remote estate in the Narragansett Bay. Though the property has been uninhabited for more than a century, Merritt is ready to call it home—until he realizes he has no choice. With its doors slamming shut and locking behind him, Whimbrel House is not about to let Merritt leave. Ever.

Hulda Larkin of the Boston Institute for the Keeping of Enchanted Rooms has been trained in taming such structures in order to preserve their historical and magical significance. She understands the dangers of bespelled homes given to tantrums. She advises that it’s in Merritt’s best interest to make Whimbrel House their ally. To do that, she’ll need to move in, too.

Prepared as she is with augury, a set of magic tools, and a new staff trained in the uncanny, Hulda’s work still proves unexpectedly difficult. She and Merritt grow closer as the investigation progresses, but the house’s secrets run deeper than they anticipated. And the sentient walls aren’t their only concern—something outside is coming for the enchantments of Whimbrel House, and it could be more dangerous than what rattles within.

I literally just started this one this morning, and have only read the prologue so far.  I'll have to let you know. 

In more mundane news, you will all be pleased to know I got my bookshelves arranged the way I want them.  


I had to move a few things off to make room for all I want, so no more autographed Allen West photo or Bill Whittle CD.  I'll put them into my office area -- if I ever get it put together the way I want.  Right now, that room is being taken up by my seemingly immortal snakes.  When they finally go into that great beyond, I have lots of plans for the room.  But I won't go into that here.  I'm sure you're all already bored enough with this post.  

Well, one good thing about last week's super duper deep freeze is that it killed all the weeds in my back yard.

They'll come back in the spring, though.  I was looking up that Scott's Turf Builder Southern formula that I used last year, but wow, it has gotten so expensive -- just like everything else.  I'll keep checking and see if someone puts it on sale before I need it.  If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the higher price.  

I guess that's about it for today.  It's almost time for the ball games to start, and I'm going to need my computer to stream at least one of them, so I'll see you later. 

Oh, and I just realized I completely forgot about the Rose parade, so now I really need both devices!

À bientôt!

No comments: