Monday, January 16, 2023

Nothing

That's what I did today.  Nothing. 

Absolutely nothing. 

Seriously, I did so much nothing, I don't even know what I did.  

I watched some TV, and knit, and that's all I have to talk about today.   Oh, wait, I remember what I did.  I'd saved a bunch of documentaries in my YouTube watch later list, so I watched most of those.  Then I re-watched episode 6 of The Chosen, and a few episodes of All Creatures Great And Small on the PBS app. 

While I was watching all that, I got a good bit done on my sock. 


But then I started watching a show on the PBS app that my friend Belinda recommended called Seaside Hotel. I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's in Danish, with English subtitles.  I needed to work on something with a little bit larger yarn that I didn't have to concentrate so hard on so I could read the subtitles. 

Naturally, I cast on another hat. 

The yarn is some Red Heart, but I've long since tossed the ball band, so I don't know what colorway it is.  The pattern is Hurricane Hat, which I don't think I've ever knit in a variegated yarn.  It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.  I really need to find a charity or something to donate all these hats to.  They're starting to fill up my gift drawer.    As far as I know, we don't have a homeless shelter here, so that's not an option.  

If I lived in town, I'd put up a hat tree in my front yard so people could take one, but where I live, that wouldn't go over too well.  I mean, other than people who live on this road, it doesn't get a lot of traffic.  If I were the kind of person who actually talked to people, I'd ask the Square Market Cafe on the square if I could put it up in front of their business, but alas, I'm not the kind of person who talks to people. 

Seriously, I used to send all my hats to a group called Hats For Sailors that sent hand knit or crochet hats to sailors serving in the U.S. Navy, but they wanted me to write an individual note to go with each hat, so I stopped.  I might look them up again and see if they've gotten over that.  Of course, I couldn't send any of the hats I have on hand, because they're all acrylic or acrylic blend, and that could be dangerous if there's a fire or something.  

Maybe I'll call around to some of the local churches and see if they would want them.  But then, I'd have to talk to people, so we're right back to square one.

But I digress...

As I was watching that show in Danish with subtitles, I said to myself, "Self, if you're going to watch a show in another language, it ought to be French, since that's the one you're trying to learn."   So, I got onto the Angel Studios app and went all the way back to season one, episode one of The Chosen, and switched it to French. 

Let me tell you, it's just as good in French as it is in English.  

Full disclosure, I didn't really understand all that much of the French, but I did catch some words here and there.  I'd say I caught about 10% of what they were saying, mostly because I've seen it so much I already knew what they were saying.  

I reckon that's about it for today.  I still haven't figured out what I want to buy with my Christmas money, but I'm sure something will come up sooner or later.  By the way, I've got some deep and insightful posts I'm working on, but they're not ready yet.  As soon as they are, I'll post them. 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

I have a charity that I craft for when I need something simple, to clear the cache, so to speak. It's called Make Bundles for Babies, and it's wee hats and blankets for babies who don't get to leave the hospital with their parents.

I looked up the Seaside hotel. I'm debating on whether to get the PBS masterpiece app. I currently have Britbox and am still working my way through Fr. Brown Mysteries. However, Hill Street Blues came across my radar the other day and I started watching it on Hulu. There is something a bit compelling about it.