Wednesday, January 25, 2023

All Is Well

Today was the day. 

I'd taken off to go to my doctor's appointment, which wasn't until 9:45, so the first thing I did was to lay in bed until nearly 6:00.  Let me tell you, it felt wonderful.  If only I could have turned off the alarm cat...

After a leisurely morning, I got dressed and went down to the doctor, and we discussed a few things.  My blood pressure is lower than it was last week, but it's still a bit high.  I told him about my little episode last week, about how paranoid I'd gotten about having a heart attack, and he wants to keep an eye on my BP to see if it comes down a bit more before diagnosing me with hypertension.  He told me to keep monitoring it at home, as well. 

I mentioned that it had been high last week, and said I thought it was because I had the flu, but when I described my symptoms, the doc said he though I'd had COVID.  I replied, "Huh, I never would have guessed that, because I didn't run fever, or lose my sense of taste and smell."  But he said, yeah, it sounded like COVID to him, even the diarrhea.  Which I am so glad is over....

Anyway, I brought up the spells of lightheadedness I've been having and asked if they could be related to elevated blood pressure, but he said it wasn't likely.  He said they're more likely because I'm getting older.  He said that some people develop an arthritis like thing on the bones in the inner ear which could cause dizzy spells, or it could be allergy related, or even something caused by wearing ear plugs every day for 28 years.  I said, "That's why I'm here, to find out if something is wrong, or if I'm just getting old."   I told him I used to come all the time, but for some reason, I just stopped.  He said, "Well, you're here now, and we'll get you back on track."  

We also discussed my cholesterol levels, and he said that given my family history, we'll probably need to take a more aggressive approach.  He ordered blood work, and pending lab results will probably put me on cholesterol lowering medication.  Last thing before I left was to set me up to start getting my mammograms again, and oh, yay, my first colonoscopy.  I'll have to have a driver for that one, since they put you to sleep. 

Really, I need to find some local friends so I don't have to keep asking Cody to take off work and drive me to these things. 

Last but not least, I mentioned that I wanted to start walking again, and the Doctor said that'd be great.  So as soon as I left I ran by Walmart and bought me some walking shoes.  


The minute I got home, I went for a walk up and down the road...in my work boots.  I can't help it.  They're so comfortable.  I'm going to try to start walking some of the trails down by the lake, too.  There are so many nice places around her to walk.  I just can't seem to pry my butt out of the chair and get going.  Maybe if I go straight from work, I'll do better. 

I finally got a photo of the house up the road that burned down a while back. 


I don't know what happened, or even when it burned, really.  I just looked down there one afternoon after work, and it was gone. 

And I broke down and bought a magic bullet blender, and a package of mixed greens.  


I have some carrots and apple juice already, and so I'm just going to experiment and see what I come up with. 

The last thing I bought was some bright colored yarn to make my charity hats. 


I spent the rest of the day watching TV and knitting, but look!  Look what came in the mail!


Sigh...my little baby really is all grown up now...

No comments: