Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Spindletop

All this week, I've been telling myself that when I get home, I'm going to go for a walk.  Not far, just up and down the road.  And all this week, I haven't.  

Gone for a walk, that is.  

I get home and decide I'm just too tired, and I'll do it tomorrow.  Then tomorrow comes and I don't.  Go for a walk, I mean.  And I know you must be tired of reading my complaining about how tired I am.   All I have to say to that is, "Man, I need a nap." 

In other news, they've decided we need to wear steel toed boots to work now.  I'm not sure when it's supposed to start, but they announced it in a safety brief last fall.  What we were told is that it has always been Lennox policy (they're our parent company), and this is just to bring us in line with that.  We've really been supposed to be wearing them, but they just haven't enforced it.  Now they're going to. 

That's the official line.  What I think -- completely off the record, of course -- is that they're tired of seeing people wearing house shoes to work.  Seriously.  People are seriously wearing house shoes to the plant.  I saw someone last week walking down the aisle and out the door at the end of the shift, and she had moccasin style HOUSE SHOES on.  

They looked just like these:



A bit of good news before I go -- a new season of Kid's Baking Championship has started, and new seasons of All Creatures Great And Small and Miss Scarlet And The Duke are showing on PBS, so now I have some good shows to watch.  Yippee!  

And finally, I couldn't leave you without acknowledging this important day in Texas history, the discovery of oil at Spindletop.  

It was January 10, 1901....

The Lucas Gusher blew the cap off of oil production in Texas, and revolutionized the oil industry.



Prior to that, oil had been primarily used for lighting and lubrication, but the discovery of such a massive deposit made using it for fuel feasible for the first time.  The rest, as they say, is history. 


It also led to today's earworm, which I will now pass on to you.



You're welcome.

For more information, The Texas State Historical Association has a pretty good article:  Spindletop.

And also, Wikipedia.

No comments: