Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Half Day Off

As I left for work this morning, I told my piano, "I have a half day vacation, so we'll have lots of quality time together this afternoon."  I'd planned on practicing a bit, then spending the rest of the afternoon watching TV and knitting.  It didn't work out that way. 

I came home, and just as yesterday, made a bee line for the piano.  Well, first I let the dogs out, then I made a bee line for the piano.  I practiced.  I went and changed clothes, and practiced some more.  I checked my e-mail, then practiced still more.  I also spent a few minutes practicing my guitar -- before going back to practicing my piano.

I've decided I need to get a guitar book or something.  Those YouTube videos help, but I think I need a more structured instructional method.  I've been looking around on Amazon, reading reviews and such.  I think I've decided on this one.


It seemed to get the best reviews, and I think it might be the book I had before, when I first started trying to learn how to play.  I don't remember, though.  It got wet and I tossed it.  That was back when I'd given up trying to learn that ghastly instrument.  I got frustrated trying to learn the chords -- kind of like I'm doing right now.  I'm determined to stick with it this time, because I really want to be able to play. 

On the other hand, I'm thinking, "What am I getting myself in to, trying to learn two instruments at the same time?"  Especially with a job that seems determined to kill us all by working us to death. 

I've also been researching keyboard stands.  It's just not working sitting on my bar.  It's too high for me to play comfortably -- even standing up.  It's really too high if I sit on my bar stool.  I'm glad now I didn't order the set with the stand, as almost all of the reviews say it's too flimsy, and the X frame gets in the way of your knees when you are trying to play.  I'm now looking at what they call Z frames, which are getting much better reviews.  The catch is, they're also more expensive.  However, barring any unforeseen disasters, I'll have another attendance bonus coming in a couple of weeks -- plus a 6 month bonus, which is an entire day's pay (should I choose that option).  That should cover the cost of it, and a stool as well.

Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

The only other significant thing I did on my half day off is to finally get my Texas flag hung. 


The Lone Star is now in its proper place, right beside Old Glory. 


Then I promptly took them both down, since it's supposed to storm tonight.  Again...

In work news, I have a feeling the fecal matter is about to hit the rotating object in regards to Brazing Boss.  We've long suspected he's been fudging the leak rate numbers, and it all boiled over yesterday.  Stalker came over and started ridiculing one of the brazers, saying she'd left 7 leaks in one hour.  She went over and asked the guy who is supposed to test and record leaks, and he said he hadn't even had any of her work going down the line.  Even Supervisor looked it up in the computer and confirmed it.  That line hadn't run any of her work since 9:00, so how was she leaving a bunch of leaks between 1:00 and 2:00? 

Group Leader told her to go to HR, but nobody expects them to do anything.  I said I'd stand up for her if she did, because the same thing has happened to me more than once.  Yesterday, in fact.  They'd finished all my work by 7:00, and didn't pick up another one of my orders until nearly 2:00, so how did I leave 7 leaks between those times? 

I said I just don't even worry about those leak rates at all.  I figure if they are really concerned about leaks, they'll fix some of the problems we complain about every single day instead of just pointing fingers.

Well, if I'm going to practice my piano a bit more before bed, I'd better get off here.

G'night.




No comments: