Friday, June 07, 2019

Friday Miscellany

I've figured out why Snow has been acting weird these last few days.  I went into the snake room this afternoon to check on her, and look what I found.


She laid eggs!  She's 15 years old, and this is the first time she's ever laid eggs.  Of course, they're not likely to hatch, as 1) she's never been with a male, so they won't be fertile, and 2) I don't have the facilities to keep them the right temp and humidity and stuff.  I know on very rare occasions, virgin snakes can lay viable eggs, but I doubt that's happened here.  At least I know she's  OK -- other than being ancient, that is.

Last weekend, the U.K was under a heat advisory, as temps were expected to soar to 29C.


And every Southerner in the U.S snorted iced tea out of his nose.  29C is 84F.  We've got a front moving through these next couple of days that is supposed to cool us off to the mid 80s.  Sweet relief!  Of course, me and my smart aleck self said, "All you Englishers like to make fun of our love for air conditioning.  Not so funny now, is it?" 


Last night was one of those nights.  You know, those nights when insomnia hits me hard.  They seem to be happening with more and more frequency here lately.  Even though I was in bed before 8:00, I didn't fall asleep until after midnight.  During the 2 1/2 hours I actually slept, I had a dream.  In this dream, I had to go to some sort of class for work.  It was people from all over, but my job sent me.  It was about how to get along with your coworkers, or some such nonsense.  That I totally don't need, right?  Anyway, the person leading the class had passed out pens and notebooks, only my pen didn't work.  If you know anything about me, you will understand how devastating that would be. 

The man sitting next to me took my pen and fixed it.  "There," he said as he handed it back to me.  That was the only thing he said to me the whole class.  Afterwards, he just got up and walked out without so much as a "nice to meet you" or "have a nice day or anything."  As I watched him walk away, I thought, "Huh, first he steals my heart, then he breaks it." 

By the way, I know exactly who that man is, but none of you will know him anyway, so it doesn't matter. 

I also dreamed all the rain we've had this weekend has gotten the emergency spillway back to overflowing.  In real life, I haven't been down there this week to check on it.  I was going to go after work today, but I didn't.  However, I crossed the Yalobusha River on the way home from running payday errands in town, I saw it is still very high.  It's going to be a rough year for farmers in the Delta.  I know some of them aren't going to even bother planting anything this year.  The fields are all still flooded.  Most of the ones in this area have finally been planted, but the cotton was late getting into the ground. 

That's about it for today.  I do have a couple of much more interesting posts in the works but I know you must be tired of sea chanties by now, and both revolve around a sea chanty, and a memory it triggered. 

I only have to work a half day tomorrow, so I may get the first one up tomorrow evening.  Heh, you know you work long hours when you refer to an 8 hour shift as a "half day".

Right... 



No comments: