Sunday, September 18, 2022

I'll Add A Real Title Later

I don't know about you, but it seems to get harder and harder coming up with original and engaging titles for my posts.  And judging by my post counts, the ones I do come up with aren't that engaging anyway.  But I am thankful for the ones of you who do come here and read. 

Let me begin by saying, I'm feeling much much better today.  My nose is still a bit stuffy, but the sinus pressure is gone.  I'm also still coughing, but that is usually the last thing to clear up.  My heart is racing, but that might be more because of the Cowboys game than any illness I may have picked up.  

Anyone been around long enough to remember when I was a sports writer?  Man, I could write the best posts about football games...until I couldn't.  It was so weird.  Usually even before the game ended, the post was writing itself in my head, then one day, it just stopped.  The words didn't come any more.  If you're interested, you can click on the labels in the right side bar and read them.  

I got aggravated, too, because I used to use a service called PicApp, where you could hotlink photos for blogs and news articles, etc.  It was completely free...until it wasn't.  One day they announced that they would be charging a membership fee to use the app, but don't worry, any photos you had already linked would stay on your site....until they didn't.  Yep, suddenly and without warning, all the photos I'd hotlinked were gone.  

The same thing happened with another photo storage site I'd used called Webshots.  That was a really cool site...until it wasn't.  They offered an app where you could download photos for your screensaver and background, and you could also use it to upload and store your own photos.  I liked the site so much, I even got the paid for version.  Then suddenly and without warning, they announced they were shutting down the site.  They offered to send you all the photos you'd uploaded in a zip file, but all the hotlinks I'd used in the blog were suddenly dead.  And I'd used a lot, since back then, Blogger limited how many photos you could upload to their site.  

Sometime later, they put the site back up, but my photos were all still gone.   They suggested trying The Wayback Machine, but I can't remember my username.  Anyway, I had over 10,000 photos stored on that site, and now they're gone.  I have the downloads on an external hard drive somewhere, but for some reason, I can't get the files to open.  It was all very aggravating.  

OK, that was not at all what I'd intended to talk about today, so let's move on.

My knitting mojo seems to have taken a bit of a vacation here lately.  I have that one blue scarf that I've been working on for it seems like forever, but I'm kind of tired of it.  I'm taking a bit of a break, so I went into my yarn closet and dug this skein out.   



This is some that had belonged to my dear friend Suzy, and I wanted to make something special with it.  Something for me to keep.  I didn't know what to make, though.  I decided to go ahead and wind it into a cake, but I was a bit dismayed to discover two breaks in the hank. I ended up with three small cakes instead.


Now, I don't know if Suzy had already divided it up for something she had planned, or if it came that way.  Madelinetosh is supposed to be pretty high end yarn, so that would be really upsetting if they'd sold it this way.  I've already knit a square into my blanket, 


and now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of it.  

While I was recovering from my epizoodies and watching football, I added a few more squares with some of the new yarn I bought at Fiber Fun In The 'Sip.  


I laid it out and compared it to some of the store bought throws I have, and I think only two more full rows -- after I complete the row I'm working on now -- and this one will be done!  At long last it'll be finished.  The conundrum is, I probably have enough yarn to finish, but it's all variegated.  I'd like a few more striped blocks in there, too, for variety.  

It'll almost feel weird to be finished with this blanket.  I started it in late January 2009, and have the blog post to prove it.  But not to worry, I still have two more I'm working on!  

Have I lost my mind or what? 

No comments: