Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Guess What?

Guess what we have at work?  Go on, guess!  Nah, you'll never guess, so I'll tell you.

We have a new HR director!  I didn't even know the last one had been fired.  Apparently, she'd gotten into an argument with someone in the front office and when all the dust had settled, she'd been let go.  I don't know any more details than that. 

We seem to be going through them like water out there.  

But anyway, he came out and visited with us on the floor today.  Rumor is, a particularly outspoken coworker had sent him a message that he needed to come out there.  He stopped to chat with me a bit, and asked where I was from.  I told him, and he said, "What's the nearest Louisiana city?"  I replied, "Lake Charles," and he asked, "Are you an LSU fan?"  Naturally, I replied in the affirmative.  Then he said, "That's going to be a problem."  

I said, "Why?  Are you a Mississippi State fan?"  He said, "Now you're cussing me twice!  I'm an Ole Miss fan!"  At that point, I raised my hand and shouted, "HAIL STATE!"    We chatted about football a few more moments, and he moved on to the next person. 

At least he's coming out and getting to know people.   The HR director two HR directors ago had worked there for an entire year before anyone even knew she was there. 

Guess what else we have?  A new production manager.  He's from Texas.  I haven't talked to him, but one of my other coworkers told him not to sell his house.   Nobody wants to break the news to him that he's only there so they'll have someone to blame if anything goes wrong. 

In other news, I briefly contemplated staying home yesterday to watch the queen's funeral, but I didn't.  Instead, I watched a video of it after I got home.  It ended up being better that way anyway, because the video was 9 hours long.  I fast forwarded through a lot of it -- like all the processional stuff when they were driving the hearse through London and out to Windsor Castle.  Even so, it was 7:00 PM before it was all said and done.  One good thing, at least YouTube didn't interrupt it every 30 seconds to run ads.  

Sometime during all that has been going on, I realized I've been negligent.  I completely forgot to tell you I'd finished reading Isaac's Storm, by Eric Larson.  It was a pretty good book.  Much more engaging than you'd think a book about weather would be.

Now, I'm reading The Arc Of The Scythe series, by Neil Schusterman. 


I'd gotten the first one years ago on a Kindle Daily Deal, and even though I enjoyed it, I didn't like it enough to pay $10 each for the next two, so I never got them. 

A couple of days ago, Amazon had them marked down to $2.99 each, so I said, "I can pay $3 for a book."  Of course, it's been so long since I read the first one, I have to re-read it because I've forgotten what it's all about. 

It's a pretty good book, young adult dystopian.  It's set in a futuristic world in which no one dies any more.  Once people have aged, they can do what they call "turning the corner" in which they are re-set to a younger age.  Even people who die accidentally can be revived.  Since no one dies naturally any more, people called Scythes are used to keep population under control, by randomly selecting people to be gleaned.  

The story follows two teenagers, Rowan and Citra, as they apprentice to become Scythes.  That's as far as I've gotten right now.  The kids have just been recruited by the Scythe and are about to start their training.  

And finally, I'm concerned about Jesse.  When I got home from work this evening, he seemed to have some sort of weakness in his back legs.  They kept falling out from under him, and it's almost like he couldn't support his weight.  He doesn't seem to be in any pain, though, and he's perky enough in every other way, so I'm going to keep an eye on him and see if he gets better.  If not, it'll be another trip to the vet for him.  

Given his age, every time something happens, I think this is going to be the time....

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

I'm impressed at how you are never lacking for work stories!

When I saw you were mentioning a book series, I was all excited and went to my library's website. No audio books. I was hoping for a new audiobook series. Guess I'll be waiting for a while before they decide to make some.

I understand how you feel about Jesse and what happens when pets age. :-(.