Monday, September 12, 2022

Doofus

 I can be such a doofus sometimes.  

Seriously.  Such a doofus.  

And what doofusy thing did I do this time?  I'll tell you.  

Yesterday being September 11, I wanted to watch my 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi movie.  It's important that we remember what happened there, too.  It's important that we remember Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods, and Glen Doherty, and how they were betrayed by their own government.  

I knew I had the movie in one of my streaming services, but I couldn't remember which one.  I checked Amazon Prime.  Not there.  I checked Hulu.  Not there, either.  I checked the Roku channel.  When I didn't find it there, I said to myself, "Self, you can spend all day searching for this movie on streaming, or you can just put in the Blu-ray."  I chose the latter.

I got up out of my chair, tromped all the way across the living room, and put the disc in.  I picked up the universal remote, and it didn't work.  I put fresh batteries into it, and it still didn't work.  Not wanting to fight with it, I got the remote for the DVD/Blu-Ray player...and it didn't work, either.  

I'm telling you, the humidity had been so outrageous this summer, I think every single item I have that takes batteries has gotten that white corrosion stuff on it.  This remote was no different.  I pried the battery compartment opened, pried the old, leaky batteries out, and cleaned the contacts with a fingernail file.  Fresh batteries, and I was finally able to settle in and watch my movie.  

About halfway through, I remembered.  The movie is in my VUDU.  Sigh...

I can't even blame sleep deprivation for that one.  Just me being a doofus.  

OK, abrupt change of subject.

The Cowboys had the late game last night, and since I get up ridiculously early to go to work, I must also go to bed ridiculously early.  I have a TV in my bedroom, but I don't use it very often.  I have a ROKU hooked up to it, but it doesn't get a very strong signal.  

I used to be able to watch TV in there all the time, but I can't any more.  Someday, I'm going to move my Wi-fi router higher and see if that helps -- which is not as easy as it sounds, as it involves moving heavy furniture to reach all the wiring and such like.  They say not to have them on the floor, and I don't know why I did it, but I moved my router to the floor.  Well, not the floor, but the lowest shelf on my entertainment center-- which is practically on the floor.  It's not normally a problem, since I mostly get on line in the living room anyway.  

Anyway, my ROKU can't pick up the signal in my bedroom, even though my Kindle and phone can.  Go figure.  Now, I knew I had an old fire stick around here somewhere, so I dug that out to see if it picked up the signal any better.  I found the stick, but couldn't find the remote.  Naturally, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I got onto Amazon to order a replacement remote.  

What I found was that I could get a whole new Fire Stick for only $5 more than a replacement remote.  After trading in my old Fire Stick and getting a $3 credit -- hey, it was pretty old and obsolete -- the difference was only $2, so I ordered it.  It'll be here Wednesday.  Now, I just have to figure out the problem with the wi-fi and I can watch TV in bed once again.  Woo hoo!

It's the little things. 

Speaking of little things, I've been knitting on that blue scarf for so long, I'm almost sick of it.  You know the one.  I've shown you photos of it umpteen times, so I'm not going to post another one.  Not until it's finished, that is.  Then we will have a celebration.  

But I digress.  As I was saying, I got so sick of that blue scarf, I cast on and knit another hat over the weekend.  


The hat is plain stockinette and the yarn is Knit Picks Brava in Just Peachy Speckle. 

Now if you'll excuse me, Jesse is telling me it's bedtime, and who am I to argue with my dog?  

Good night. 


P.S.  I ended up watching the game on my Kindle, until I fell asleep at the start of the fourth quarter.  I woke up to the news that Captain Soapbubble The Second, also known as Dak Prescott is injured and expected to miss 6-8 games.  Sigh.. 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

Certainly sounds like you had a heck of a time with your tech.

I've not heard about the router being up as high as possible. It makes sense. For a while I had my computer in my craft room, but the signal was so poor back there, thanks to our low internet. It was even worse if others were using the Internet.

My area has been dry this summer. No worries of any kind of corrosion.

I really like the pops of color on the hat you are making. Makes me want to find some yarn and cast on a hat. I haven't been very crafty lately.