Tuesday, September 13, 2022

I Lied

 I lied to you yesterday.  I didn't do it on purpose, but I did.  

After I posted, I was looking through some blog posts and found this old photo from 2015.  This was right after Beverly and James gave me this entertainment center. 


Do you see what that is on the bottom shelf?  On the left?  Right there where it still sits to this day?  Yep, it's my Wi-Fi router.  Turns out I hadn't moved it down after all.  What I'd had on the upper shelf was my cable box.  

Now I'm confused again.  I know I used to watch TV in my room on occasion, and I know when Cody stayed with me that week in 2018 when he was in the process of moving to Memphis, he played his online games in his bedroom with the door closed.  That means he had good signal then.  The only thing I know that's changed since then is that Sparklight bought out Cable One.  

I wonder if they've weakened the signal or something.  I'm going to raise my router anyway, and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, I'm going to call the internet company and see if I can trade my old router in for a new one.  It's leased, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I probably ought to upgrade it anyway, since it's several years old.  

Hold the phone...I just went to the Sparklight website to see if I could upgrade my router and found the following notice:

Our records indicate you are currently using a cable modem this it not capable of fully delivering your Internet speeds. In order to fully enjoy your speeds, and enjoy the reliability of your Internet service,. you must upgrade your modem to a new one that can deliver your Internet speed.

If you have a Sparklight provided modem, a key benefit is that replacement with a newer, advanced technology DOCSIS 3.0 modem, is available at no extra charge. Replacement is easy - simply bring your current modem to our office, and we'll provide a replacement DOCSIS 3.0 modem along with instructions on how to replace your modem. Alternatively, give us a call and we can ship you a replacement modem.

I seem to remember getting this in an email a while back, but forgot to actually do it.  So I guess I'll take care of that, probably Friday.  Or I may call tomorrow right after work and see if they'll ship me one, then take the old one back to the office once I've gotten them switched out.  

No, wait.  I have to go to the dentist tomorrow to get started on getting my new teeth.  Eh, Friday morning ought to be OK.  That way, I'll have time to call support if I have any trouble setting it up.  

In knitting news, I really want to get out my sock yarn blankets and add my new yarns to them.  

I have to be careful these days, because the cat is a kneader.  I have to keep an eye on her and re-direct her to the store bought blankets she is allowed to knead on.   So, big projects like the blankets tend not to get brought out as often. 

Still, it was 55' this morning when I got up, and it's finally starting to feel almost fall-ish.  As Cody said when he was a kid, "It's getting to be knitting season!"

And finally, remembering the monster storm that took so many of my childhood memories.


Now, if you'll excuse me, the new season of Halloween Baking Championship is calling and I must go.  

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

You know, I was going to comment on the router. The tech changes so much. My MIL had a modem that was ancient and still worked fine. Then my son started spending days with her, over the summer. It couldn't give out enough signal, so grandma indulged her grandson and bought a new router. It made a huge difference.

Good luck with the dentist. i've had my own issues these last few years. Fortunately I found a really good dentist.

It's been pretty nippy in the a.m. in my area, these last several days. It is supposed to rain Thursday and Friday.