Monday, December 23, 2019

Treasures

I have this app on my phone called TimeHop. What it does is to go back through your old social media posts and posts them in the app. Kind of like Facebook's memories feature, only Timehop sometimes shows me things Facebook doesn't.  Like old blog posts and such.

Anyway, I was looking through my TimeHop, when it showed a photo I'd uploaded of a piece from an old Christmas village I'd started collecting years and years ago -- like before Cody was born ago.  I'd only gotten two pieces before the company discontinued them.  I've found other pieces available on eBay, but I haven't gotten any.  So far.

The only one I'd actually finished was a barn.  I'd put it out one year, and had since forgotten about it.  I thought, I need to go find that old thing and put it out this year, too.  So, off I went on a treasure hunt.  And treasures I did find.  Like these:


Little salt dough ornaments I'd made the year Cody was born.  I'd planned on doing a set every year, but quickly realized that wasn't feasible.  His feet got too big too quickly.  I did his hand the next year, when he was 1, but haven't done any since.  


I did the hand out of some stuff put out by PlayDoh.  I can't remember what it's called, though.  It's very light, but strong.  I wish I'd known about that the previous year, because the salt dough is very delicate.  The ornament hooks have already pulled out, and cracked the dough where they were.  I wrapped them all very carefully, and put them back into the box, putting it back into the closet where I'd found it.

That closet -- the one in the snake/craft/computer room-- didn't have the little barn in it anywhere, so on to the closet in the bedroom I went, where I found this:


It's the tree topper I thought had been ruined in a hurricane!  Obviously, it hasn't, so now I'm wondering where that other nativity came from.  It must have been just a glass ornament or something.  I really don't remember.

Also in that box was this little bell ornament, which I bought in Italy.


I keep it wrapped up and packed away, because it's already got some cracks in it.  I don't want to risk breaking it completely.

I mentioned on Facebook a few days ago that I still have my favorite childhood stick.  Y'all thought I was kidding.  I wasn't.


That stick has been a rifle, a bow, a sword, an quarterstaff, a fishing pole...you name it, it's been it.  It is once again safely back in the closet.

At long last, tucked way back in a corner, I found the little barn I'd been looking for.


It is now proudly on display in my entertainment center.  If Cody ever finishes building my mantle, it's going to go up there.   He keeps insisting he's going to.  Build my mantle, that is.  It was supposed to be part of my Christmas -----last year.  Sigh...

After all that was done, I decided to start making my Christmas candy.  Only to discover I was out of one essential ingredient.  Sigh, again...Back into town I went.

First I stopped at the Dollar General store, the one on the corner of 51 and Papermill Road, for you local folks, but they didn't have it.  On to Walmart.  Yes, Walmart, two days before Christmas.  I must be crazy.  Into the lion's den...aaaand they didn't have it either.  Dang it.

The third store, a locally owned mom and pop shop called Grocery Basket saved Christmas!


They had the Knox unflavored gelatin I needed for my lemon Turkish Delight.   Which has now been made, and is setting up on the counter, right beside the chocolate fudge.  All I've got left is the peanut butter fudge and the candy will be done.  Then it'll be time to make the cookies.

I guess the big news is, while I was in Walmart, I broke down and bought a new computer.


When it got to the point I didn't feel like I could blog for fear of killing my computer, I knew it was time.  I went back and forth forever debating on whether to get it or not, but I finally did.  I put it on my credit card -- you know, the one it doesn't seem I'll ever get paid off.This one is so nice!  It's got tons of memory, and is much smaller and slimmer than my old one.  I briefly considered getting a chromebook, since most of what I do is play on Facebook and blog, but I opted for one with a bigger hard drive.

It cracks me up, back ages ago, when my mother in law gave me my first ever computer, she said it had "oodles of memory".  It had 7 G.  This one has a terabyte.  It wasn't that expensive, either -- mid $500s.  It'll be a minute before I get it the way I want it, but the good news is, it is once again safe to blog.

Speaking of, as soon as I'm done here, I'm going to finish the post I started yesterday, and didn't publish.  Be sure to be on the watch for it.  

No comments: