Friday, December 20, 2019

Finally!

It would seem my little town has finally gotten a community Christmas tree on the square.

Funny, I was watching all these cheesy Hallmark movies and one day I said to myself, "Self, why doesn't this town have a tree lighting thing?"  Even the tiniest town in these movies have a tree.  Why doesn't this one?  In all the years I've lived here, all they've had are these little buildings they put out every year.  They are darling, but not the same as a tree.

Even funnier, every year I say I'm going to stop and take pictures of them, but I never have.  Until today.  I was driving in to do my weekly shopping, and decided to take the long way around and see the new tree.  While I was there, I finally stopped and took pictures of the buildings.  After 25 years, the job is done!


A little house,


a church,


and another -- I guess it's a house or a shop.  I don't really know.  I also don't know who made them.  They've been here longer than I have.  By the way, that's not all of them.  There are about seven all together, but I thought I'd save some for a later post.

And here is a picture of our tree:


Yeah, it's a little skimpy on the lights and decorations, but it was kind of a last minute thing.  I'm sure they'll add to it if they keep on putting one up, which I hope they do.  I didn't go to the lighting ceremony, because they had it on Monday night.  I guess they don't realize people have to get up and go to work in the mornings.  Then again, I haven't been to the parade since Cody graduated and is no longer marching in the band, so maybe I wouldn't.  I really do need to get out and do more of these community things...

Anyway, someone posted a video of it on the local FB page, and there was this one lady who kept shouting, "Oh, it's so beautiful!"  After about the 5th time she said it, I began to wonder if the tourism commission paid her to.

And finally, my dear, dear wonderful friend Kristine sent me a Christmas present.  I almost didn't open it, though.  My first thought was to wrap it and save it for Christmas morning.  But then I thought, what if she sent me some Christmas scented candles?  I'd better look and see...and sure enough,


I'd been hoarding the candles I bought last year like a miser...no, wait, I've been hoarding them like a Scrooge -- got to get into the season and all -- but as soon as I opened them, I ran and lit last year's Gaudete and have been burning it ever since.  The whole house smells like frankincense and myrrh. The one in the middle is her new scent, specially made for this year.  It smells so good, too!  Do go by and give her shop a look see:  Stormy Blue.  You won't regret it.

And as is her custom, she included some other little things she thought I might like.


The chocolate didn't last long, and I'm fixing to go in and brew a cup of the tea.  I'm sure it's good, too.

Oh, and one more thing.  Another mysterious box arrived from Amazon, which I didn't order.  I wrapped the whole box and put it under the tree.  I'm going to laugh if I open one of these packages on Christmas morning and it ends up being my vitamins. 

I'll be sure to post if it happens. 






No comments: