Monday, December 30, 2019

The Last Gifts

The last of my Christmas gifts arrived today.

For those of you new to the blog, or who have memories like mine, let me set the stage.  When Cody was here for Christmas, I'd mentioned my vacuum sealer had died.  He gave me money to get a new one, telling me it would be part of my Christmas.  Well, I'd ordered one, but received a notice from the seller that it had been backordered, and she didn't know when they would get some more.   I cancelled that order, and after some deliberation, ordered a different one.


It was a little more expensive than the first one I ordered, but it got good reviews.  I combined the money Cody had given me with the money my mother had sent and got it anyway.  It came with some pre-cut vacuum bags, and a roll of the stuff.  However, it is supposed to work with the rolls I already have.  Which are a different brand than my old sealer anyway, so it's all good. 


After ordering my new sealer, I had a little extra money, so I threw this into my cart as well.


My car has one of those long, sloping windshields, and to clean it -- me being short and all -- I practically have to climb onto the dashboard to reach the very bottom.  It is because of this that I seldom clean the inside of my windshield.  And it is because I don't clean it that I can't see coming home from work.  The sun hits it just right, and all I see is fogged up windshield.  Hopefully, this will help.  I've already run out and cleaned the aforementioned windshield.  I guess next I need to go drive around at quitting time to see. 

The handle comes apart so the cleaner will fit into the glove box, and while I was putting it into the box, I found a whole stack of receipts and old insurance cards.  I brought them inside, then said to myself, "Self, you ought to clean out your file cabinet.  It's been a while." 

Yes, it had.  I found receipts all the way back to 2013.  I tossed everything older than 2018 -- well, to be honest, I burned it all in my wood heater.  I had brief flashbacks to when I was in the Navy and had to burn classified papers and all.  We put it all into what we called burn bags, then once a week, hauled them all out to the incinerator and torched them.  While everything was burning, you were supposed to stir the ashes to make sure everything had been completely destroyed.  One day I was cleaning out the incinerator with another sailor, and she found some papers that hadn't burned.  Instead of just putting a match to them, she took them back inside and put them into a new burn bag.  I always wondered about that.

Oh, and we always got mad, because the NATO side would use the same incinerator, but they would never clean it out.  That led to us eventually getting a shredder.  But enough about that...

As I was saying, and you were probably bored reading, my file cabinet is all clean now.  Next step is to get all the stuff that has piled up on my computer desk and file or burn it.  Apparently, that's where all my 2019 receipts are, because I didn't find a single one in the file folders.  I need to clean everything off that computer desk anyway, and see if I can sell it.  I haven't used the desktop in years, and I'm not even sure it still works.  If I get that big old thing out of the computer/craft/snake room, I can put a writing desk in there.  But first, I'd have to clean all the junk out of it.  The room, not the desk.  Well, the desk, too, but mostly the room.

It really has become my junk room.  I've tried to clean it out before, but I usually get overwhelmed, and just shove everything right back where it was.  Maybe I just need to finish off my attic and store it all up there.  Or just throw it all away.  But I hate throwing perfectly good stuff in the garbage.  There is a thrift store here in town, but they're never open.  I have never once gone up there and they've been open -- not even during their operating hours. 

Well, I've still got a week before I have to go back to work.  At least I can start cleaning...

I'll let you know how it goes. 

No comments: