Thursday, December 26, 2019

Our Christmas

Another Christmas Day has come and gone -- and Cody along with it.

This is the trial and tribulation of being an introvert.  I'd looked forward for weeks to his coming, and now that he's gone, I miss him and wish he were still here...but the whole time he was here, I felt like I couldn't relax.  He has a very loud energy, and it can be overwhelming to someone who is used to a nearly silent house.

Even Rylea was saying, "Who is this, and why is he on my love seat?"


Yes, my dog has her own love seat.  No, she's not a bit spoiled.  Not at all.

Cody says he might come back for New Year's Eve.  I already pre-warned him that I haven't stayed up until midnight in years.  Hopefully, it'll be a bit cooler by then.  It got up to 75 yesterday, which had me singing, "I'm dreaming of an even slightly chilly Christmas" all day.

Nevertheless, we had a good Christmas in spite of the heat.  Cody noticed the new Spock ornament I bought, and I said, "That's why I wish you could help me decorate the tree.  Then I could tell you the stories behind some of these ornaments" -- like the ceramic stockings my aunt made for all of us years and years ago. 

I spotted a squirrel on the feeder and said, "There's a squirrel for your gumbo."  He said, "OK, I got it," as he pulled out his .45.  I laughed and said, "There won't be any left to eat if you shoot it with that!"  Then I told him about the time James shot a squirrel with his .270 deer rifle.  There wasn't much left but a tail.

Cody said, "I was kinda meaning that as a joke."  I replied, "Yeah, I kind of got that, and I was kind of playing along."  However, in what is quickly becoming a new Christmas tradition, he made gumbo for dinner, just not with squirrel.  We used leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, sausage, and shrimp.  It was really good, if a bit mild, because I didn't have any cayenne.  I'll have to get some before next year. If we don't go to Texas, that is.

So, on to the gifts.  Cody was thrilled with his Mike The Tiger Funko POP. 


I mentioned that it's a good thing I ordered it when I did, because since LSU won the SEC and Joe Burreaux won the Heisman, the price of them has doubled.

I spent several weeks sending my sibs vibes that I really wanted new house shoes.  I think my vibes were too strong -- or my sibs are really tuned in -- because I got two pair!


The ones on the left are from my sister, and the ones on the right are from my younger brother.  And yes, I'm keeping both!  I put one pair back for when the other wears out.

My sister also sent me two new piano books.


They're a bit advanced for where I am right now, but I tried them anyway.  Cody encouraged me, saying, "Come on, Mom!  Shoot for the stars!"  Alas, that rocket crashed and burned.  But I'll have something to work towards.  Now that I've recorded my Christmas concert, I'll be concentrating on my regular piano course again.  I'm still playing some of my Christmas songs, just for fun, but after I've done my regular lessons.

My sister also sent Cody a new ulu.


He said she sent him one last year as well.  He will just start a collection of them, then.  I mentioned that he didn't need to pose with every single present.  "Just look casual", I said, and this is what he did.


That thing he's holding there is a wireless phone charger that he can use in the car.  He asked how I knew he even wanted one.  I said, "Hey, I know how to troll your Amazon wish list!"

This is his gift to me:


It's a sherpa lined blanket, and is so soft and warm.  I thought it was a throw, but no, it's a full sized blanket.  I can't wait until it gets cold again so I can use it.

My older brother and family sent me a Texas Homesick candle -- because I'm always homesick for Texas - and a Jason Witten Funko Pop.


When the Funko POP arrived, I saw the return address label, and thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if someone had sent me a Mike The Tiger POP, too."  But I'm glad to have gotten Jason Witten.  He's one of my all time favorite Cowboys.

This is what Beverly and James sent me, and I love that bag!


Orange being my hometown, and it's got the city's major landmarks on it.  The mug, just in case you can't see it, says Powered by coffee & yarn.

Cody was really tickled by the leg lamp cookie cutter I found.  (I was, too, because I'd forgotten I'd ordered it.)


And of course, the glass to match. But I think the gifts he liked best were his LSU hat and tie.


When he was loading up his car to head back to Memphis, he put the hat on his head and said, "That'll ride just fine right there" -- even though it was 75 outside by then.

Anyway, I continued the tradition my father started by laying out all our loot and taking a picture of it.  Here is Cody's.



I've already showed you everything I got, except the money Cody gave me to get myself a new Seal-A-Meal.  I'd mentioned that my old one has died -- it is 13 years old after all.  He pulled money out of his wallet and said, "Get yourself a new one, as part of your Christmas."  I've already ordered it, and I'll show you when it gets here.  My mother also sends me money every year.  I used part of it to order a windshield cleaner for my car, which I will also show you when it gets here.  I haven't decided what to spend the rest of it on, yet.

And just to top off a really nice Christmas, my Mama Doe and her twins made an appearance.  I haven't seen them in ages.  As far as I know, we're still under a feeding ban, but they come from time to time and clean up what the squirrels throw on the ground under their feeder.

That was our Christmas.  I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas as well.








No comments: