Saturday, October 27, 2018

Two More

It kind of felt weird this weekend, waking up without a home renovation project going on.  I almost didn't know what to do with myself.  It was actually kind of nice, being able to relax, and do just enough puttering to keep boredom at bay.

It isn't supposed to get cold again until next Thursday night, so I moved some of my plants back outside.   While I was doing that, I went ahead and cleaned the moss off my back porch, and pulled up all the little plants that had sprouted between the bricks.


That very last row of bricks had rolled over and had dirt and gunk built up behind them.  I cleaned all that out and got them lined back up.  I put a couple of landscape timbers there to hold them in place.  I wish I'd taken a before picture, so you can see how much better it looks now. 

Once I'd finished that, I said to myself, "Might as well get that closet door painted while I'm up, so I did.



I first put a coat of Kilz primer on it, and let me tell you, cleaning that up was a mess.  The more I washed, the more there was.  I started off with just a couple of spots on my hands.  I started washing, and it started growing, and spreading, and getting everywhere.  Before it was all over, I had both hands completely coated up past my wrists.  I scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and got my hands almost clean.  Then it would start growing again -- like oobleck.

I even said that at one point.  "This stuff is like oobleck,"  I said.

I was frustrated and confused, and wondering what the heck was going on, but I persevered kept scrubbing -- thankful all the while I had bought the gallon jug of mineral spirits instead of the quart--and finally got myself and my tools clean.  Well, mostly clean.  I've still got a few spots of primer on my hands and arms, but they'll wear off eventually.

It was a lot easier when I got to using the paint.  Two coats, easy clean up, and it was done.  I have a few spots to touch up, but it looks really good.  At least I think so.

Oh, and yes, as a matter of fact there are four knitting bags sitting right there.  And no, that's not the half of them.  There are many, many more knitting projects scattered throughout this house.

With my living room finally finished, I'm pretty much done with painting projects for a while, so I toted all my painting supplies out to the shop (keeping just enough out to do my shutters) and moved my furniture back into place.  And by furniture, I mean this chair and the wood box -- which isn't a box at all.


I've been debating.  When it's time to remodel the kitchen/dining/living room area,  I'm thinking about closing this door off and making this into a reading nook.


Then I would widen the door between the kitchen and living room.  The back wall of the living room is about even with where that scarecrow is hanging.


I'd take the wall out to there.  It wouldn't be completely open plan, but it would be more open than it is now. 

I don't know yet what I want to do.  I'm not a big fan of open concept, but I'm thinking resale value here, and that's all the rage.

It'll be a while before I can afford to do anything that major, so I have plenty of time to decide.



No comments: