Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Good Thing

It's a good thing I had today off.  I got so stressed over how I was going to pay the house painter and the plumber -- not to mention all the dental work I just had done that I still need to pay for -- I hardly slept at all last night.  The last time this happened -- the plumbing, not the house painting -- it cost me $1200 to fix.  I'm hoping and praying it doesn't cost that much this time around.

Now, if I hadn't already contracted with the house painter, it wouldn't be a problem.  Indeed, I tried to contact him and cancel the job, but he said he'd already bought all the paint and stuff.  I told him to go ahead and get the house painted, since he'd already bought supplies.  I'd been saving up in a separate account to pay him, so I guess I'll have to take out of my regular savings to pay the plumber -- which means things will get mighty tight around here until the overtime starts up again.

Be that as it may, as of this posting, the plumber has yet to show up, but the house painter -- or rather, his employee --finally has, nearly a month behind schedule.  He apologized for the delay, and said his schedule has been crazy.  I guess me trying to cancel the job lit a fire under his behind, and he decided to make me a priority.

I have it on good authority that his Auntie Edna read him the riot act as well.  "I recommended you.  You'd better not make me look bad!" she admonished.  But she also told me some of the things that had happened to put him behind -- his grandmother's house had gotten damaged, plus he'd had to move -- things like that.  I understand that things happen.  I'm just glad he's finally getting it done.

The bad news is, I'm such an introvert, that with him here -- even though he stayed outside the whole time, I didn't feel like I could really relax.  What was really bad was my blinds were open.  I wanted to get up and close them, but didn't want to make him feel like I was hiding from him.  Even though I was.  He packed up and left about 3, so I at least got to enjoy part of my day off.  Hopefully, he'll finish the job tomorrow while I'm at work, so this awkwardness won't be an issue.

And just what did I do while I was huddled inside my house hiding from the painter?  I knit a charity hat.



Well, part of one, at least.  I'm not particularly enjoying knitting this hat.  The yarn is Red Heart, which is a bit of a crap shoot these days.  Some colors are an absolute joy to work with.  Others aren't.  This is one of the ones that isn't.  It is very coarse and stiff.  It will soften up with washing, but it's still not very pleasant to knit.  Next time around, I'm going to go up a needle size and see if that helps.

A couple of weeks ago, I got the bright idea that I would take all my fall scented wax melts out of the packages and put them into this container.


When I wanted to use one, I would just reach in, grab one at random, and be surprised.  It sounded like a good idea at the time.  However, the one I popped into the melter today smells so good, I want to go buy some more.  Only I don't know which scent it is.  So, I can't.

Yeah, I guess I really didn't think that one through.

No comments: