Thursday, October 11, 2018

Another Sleepless Night

It would seem that yesterday, I ate something that did not agree with me, and I ended up with what is known colloquially as the squirts.  Let's just say, if I were having a colonoscopy, I'd be all ready for it.

I spent most of last night dashing to the bathroom.  And in your Yes-Becky-Is-Human TMI moment, I have to confess that there was one time I didn't quite make it. 

There I was, at 2:30 AM washing diarrhea off my backside...and changing my night clothes. 

It was at this point I said to myself, "This is not a good time to have toilets that don't flush."  It was shortly after this point I found myself afraid to go to sleep for fear of an encore, so I have been up quite a while. 

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I was able to flush my toilets.  They just drained very, very slowly, so I was afraid to flush too much.  The good news is, by the time I got to work, what ever had caused my brief digestive distress had passed.

The better news is, the plumber made it out to the house this evening.  Turns out it was just a clog -- too much toilet paper -- and he was able to snake the line and clear it pretty quickly.  Whew!  Then I said, "Since you're here, can you look at my sink?"

See, the sink in my hall bathroom has nothing over the drain hole.  Nothing.  No stopper, no strainer -- nothing.



Kindly ignore how dirty my sink is at the moment.  I haven't cleaned it since the plumber has been here. 

I bought a screen thing, but not after dropping several items down the drain. 


Eventually, the sink stopped draining altogether.  I tried the Draino.  I tried plunging.  I even bought a sink snake.  Nothing worked.  So, a few weeks ago, I took the trap off, thinking I could clear the clog manually. 

Only the trap was clear.  I figured then that the clog was back inside the walls.  That was a bit more than I felt comfortable digging in to.  It wasn't that big a deal, because I'm here by myself, and I have another sink.  But today, the plumber was already at the house and I said, "Might as well get him to snake that, too." 

He started snaking, and you would not believe the stuff he pulled out of that sink.  It took three snakings, but he finally got the clog cleared, so yay!  After seeing how much junk had been dropped down that drain, he said, "Make sure you keep that screen in there." 

The best part is, it only cost $325! 

OK, that's still a lot, but not nearly as much as I was fearing.  I might have enough left over to buy a bowl of my co-worker's skgetti.






No comments: