Sunday, October 21, 2018

Finished!

After I posted yesterday, I put one more coat of paint on my bricks while watching LSU totally take down Mississippi State.  Which, oh, by the way, you are not going to beat Alabama with field goals, no matter how good your kicker is.  But I digress...

I let it dry overnight, and when I got up, I declared my fireplace renovation done!  Well, for the most part.  I've spotted a couple of touch ups I need to do, but I'll get those when I do the closet door.


I still have to get the mantle hung, but I'm going to have to order hardware for that.  The previous owners just had big 4 inch nails driven through at an angle, but I want to get the right kind of mounting brackets.  I've looked locally, and I've checked the Lowe's app to see if they had it up in Batesville.  No such luck.  The only place I found the kind I want is on Amazon.   But, other than that, and putting the trim up, it is finished.

Just in time, too, because it was down to 40' when I got up this morning.  It wasn't cold enough in the house to turn on the heater, but a little fire felt just right.

Oh, and by the way, if you ever paint your bricks behind your wood stove, be sure to take the painter's tape off your stove pipe before lighting a fire in said stove.  It will smolder and burn, and fill your house with dense, stinky smoke.  It...uh, it happened to a friend of mine...yeah...

With that first fire also came the first burn of the season.


I usually wear gloves when handling the bigger logs, but for some reason, today I didn't.  It actually looks worse than it is.  It hasn't blistered yet, so it might not even leave a scar.  I know it sounds crazy, but being a brazer, I'm kind of used to being burned.  This one doesn't even hurt any more.  Unlike my poison ivy, which still itches like crazy. 

Anyway, chilly morning...fire in the grate...it seemed a perfect day to add a few more squares to my sock yarn blanket. 


Right now, I'm adding the yarn from the mini skeins I bought at Fiber Fun In The Sip.  They have enough yarn that I can put a square in my blanket, and still have enough to add one to my sister's. 

Finally, my Christmas cactus have started budding. 


Three of them so far have buds, but these are the biggest ones.   It's going to be glorious when they all bloom.


No comments: