Thursday, May 03, 2018

Surprises In The Mail

Well, since they've officially announced it now, I supposed I can tell you, too.   We've got changes coming at work.  The biggest one is they've shut down C shift.  This will be their last weekend to work.  We had a meeting this afternoon where the plant manager told us they'd tried everything they could think of to get C shift up and running, but they realized it just wasn't going to happen.  More than that, they were wasting good production time on them, and the better course of action would be to just shut the shift down completely. 

It's not that the alternate schedule was such a bad idea, but the whole thing was predicated on finding an entire shift worth of people willing to work -- and work hard-- all weekend, every weekend, 12 hour shifts, for $8 per hour.  If they'd tried it 25 or 30 years ago, when people were still raised with a work ethic, it probably would have worked, but not in this entitlement minded, participation trophy generation. 

A and B shifts will still stay on the same schedule for the time being, but without C shift, we'll also be working Fridays and Saturdays -- they say through the end of August, depending on sales forecasts and production rates. So, yay for overtime. 

There are other changes coming, too, but nothing that would likely interest any of you.  Procedural stuff.  Like that they're moving the sub brazers off the assembly lines and back into our own little work area.  I'm excited about that.  Things were so much better back when we were all together before. 

I was talking with a coworker about shutting off my cable the other day.  She told me she needed to do something about hers, too.  Her bill is over $200 per month.  I was telling her about getting a Roku and how you can stream stuff and even watch live TV.  I said, "I feel so free!" and I do.  I feel so free not having that huge cable bill hanging over my head each month.  And you will all be pleased to know, I successfully DVRed NCIS and Survivor, so I went back and set it to record Criminal Minds and Young Sheldon, too. 

The best part of my day, I came home from work and found a package of blanket yarn waiting for me!



I'd put out a call on Facebook a few days ago for sock yarn scraps for the blanket, and one of my friends responded right away.  I ought to be able to add a lot of squares with all this yarn!


Thanks, Marci!

I will be so glad when this next storm system passes through!  My poor eyes are miserable.  Swollen, crusty, itchy and achy.  I think I'll go close them for a few hours.

Goodnight.

No comments: