Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Old Glory

I had a long, drawn out post all mentally composed for you, but as I'm a bit tuckered, you get the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

Why am I so tired?  I'll tell you.

I stayed up last night to watch the last Abby episode of NCIS.  Normally, I watch it the next day, but as I have FB friends who tend to post spoilers, I wanted to watch it in real time.   Now, I know some of you are thinking, "NCIS comes on at 7:00.  How is that 'staying up'?"  I will gladly answer that for you.  My alarm is set for an hour that begins with the numeral 2.  Does that answer your question?

Yeah...

To make matters worse, I stayed up the night before reading.  I'd only planned on reading one chapter, but ended up finishing the book. There is actually a term for what that resulted in the next day:  a book hangover.  I had one. 

So, just two things.  We're continuing to adjust to our new surroundings at work.  So far, it's been a change for the better.  I'm only hearing my coworkers (myself included) complain about two things.  The first one is that everyone is still uncomfortable with how crowded we are.  I mentioned yesterday that I was concerned about accidentally burning people.  I nearly got a few today.  Back when we were over there before, we had twice as much room, so it wasn't as much of an issue.  The way it is now, I don't feel safe. 

The other thing my coworkers (and not just me) are complaining about is these assembly line group leaders coming over there and hassling us.  They're not supposed to be over there at all.  We have our own group leader.  If they have a problem, or if they need something, they are supposed to go through her. 

One of the other brazers told me her old group leader tried to tell her that she needs to come in early and go back to her old work area and count everything that is already on the line.  Another one came over and started yelling at the brazers who used to work on his line (I don't know what it was about), and our new group leader and him got into a big old argument.  (Again, I don't know what it was about, but I heard a lot of yelling.)  Then there was the one who was constantly harassing a brazer about partials,  all...day...long.  Even the other brazers were starting to say, "She needs to stay away from over here." 

Once someone pounds it into their thick heads that we don't work for them any more, it'll be a whole lot better.  But for now, I'm not throwing away my Hyland's Homeopathic Nerve Tonic quite yet. 

On to happier news...

A few months ago, I noticed my flag was getting a bit tattered.  I took it down, because I think flying ragged, faded old flags is worse than not having a flag at all.  I'd meant to get another one, but a combination of forgetfulness and procrastination prevented that. 

May arrived, and I got to thinking.  Memorial day is coming up here soon.  I need to have a new flag by then.  After forgetting to get one in Walmart for the umpteenth time, I broke down and ordered a flag from Amazon.  I chose one that is sewn strips of fabric with embroidered stars, not just a printed on pattern. 

It arrived today, and once again Old Glory is proudly flying.


My house looks right again. 


I thought I'd save a little money by reusing the same pole, but it appears I might need a new one of those, too.  I'll look for one next time I go to the store.

If I don't forget... 

No comments: