Monday, May 14, 2018

My DNA Results

I got my DNA results back!  The thing said 6 - 8 weeks, but I got mine back in only two.  I was anxious to see what those results were, and I must say, I was kind of surprised.



The 37% Great Britain is no surprise, as most of my ancestors can be traced back to England.  OK, I did think that one would be a bit higher -- like maybe 75% or so.  The 15% Ireland/Scotland/Wales is no surprise, either, since I've found both Irish and Scottish ancestors, but not as many as English ones.

What is surprising is I only have 5% Scandinavian DNA.  I figured I would have more than just 5%, since my Swedish ancestor is the closest, generationally, that is.

DNA can be a tricky thing, though.  What DNA I ended up with all depends on which bits of my parents' DNA got passed down to me.  Even though Grandpa Peter hailed from Sweden, I've got a lot more ancestors and a lot more bits of DNA mixed up in me. 

Take a look at this one:  35% Europe West.  According to the website, Europe West is

Europe West

Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein


I did find some French ancestry on my mother's side, but it was pretty far back.  That there DNA must have done some pretty serious generation hopping.  I'm going to have to do some more digging on her side, and try to find out where that came from.

The interesting thing is the low confidence regions.  Finland/Russia?  Haven't found anyone from there.  On the other hand, Vikings did settle parts of Russia, so there is that.  Europe South is a possibility, since it encompasses Italy and Greece.  My great-great grandfather (my Mammaw's grandfather) had the last name Gardino or Gardano.  That's a common Italian last name.  I haven't found him in any family trees, or any records of him at all, other than what my dad told me, and what I read in my Great Uncle Oscar's Bible. 

Now, about that European Jewish...I read some very interesting articles about how the Cherokee people don't have DNA markers common to Native peoples.  As you know (unless you've been living under a rock), those who call themselves "Native" Americans immigrated here from Eastern Asia.  Cherokees have DNA markers more in common with those from the Middle East, North Africa, and Jews.  So, it is possible I do have come Cherokee DNA. 

That's more than Elizabeth Warren can say. 
 

Changing the subject, I'm getting the feeling I'm going to regret telling Tomato Man he can plant his garden beside my shed.  He stopped by my house yesterday and the following conversation ensued:

TM:  Do my tomato plants look a little dry to you?

Me:  I don't know.

TM:  You haven't been out to look at them?  (Looking surprised that I hadn't.)

Me:  Not since that first day you put them in, no.

TM:  Oh.  (Looking as if I'd suddenly sprouted a second head or something.)  Do you have water over there?  (Meaning a spigot.)

Me:  No, it's in the back yard. 

TM:  Would you mind putting some water on them a couple of times a week for me?

Me:  That wasn't part of the deal.  The deal was that you would take care of them. 

TM:  Well, maybe it'll rain soon. 

Really, if I'd wanted to take care of his tomato plants, I'd have planted my own garden.  Taking care of his tomatoes wasn't part of the deal, and we'd settled that -- or so I thought-- the first time he asked if he could put them there.  Then again, him pestering me about the dumb things all summer wasn't part of the deal, either.

I know one thing, he won't be planting any on my property next year.










No comments: